City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Environmental Justice Community Organizer
New York Lawyers for the Public Interest
New York Lawyers for the Public Interest (NYLPI) is seeking applications for a Community Organizer in its Environmental Justice Program. The Environmental Justice Program takes on issues ranging from the systemic overburdening of low-income communities of color with polluting facilities, to the presence of dangerous toxins in public schools, to environmentally just community development. It addresses these issues through a variety of strategies including organizing and coalition building, policy and legislative advocacy, use of the media, and litigation. The Community Organizer will be an integral part of the Environmental Justice team, working alongside attorneys and advocates to develop and implement the program's campaigns and cases.
• Experience working with coalitions of community members and community-based organizations in the context of advocacy campaigns.
• Excellent strategic judgment and the energy and drive to effectuate challenging campaigns.
• Strong writing, organizational, and public speaking and other communication skills.
• Flexibility, creativity, and initiative.
• Ability to work both collaboratively and independently and to juggle multiple tasks under time constraints.
• Experience with and/or commitment to environmental justice work or at a minimum to racial justice work generally.
• Experience using social media to advance campaign goals preferred.
• Proficiency in Spanish strongly preferred.
• At least three years of relevant community organizing experience strongly preferred.
How TO APPLY:
Please send applications by August 30, 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words: “Attention: Environmental Justice Community Organizer Position.” Applications must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references (including daytime telephone numbers). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please mention where you saw this posting in your cover letter. To learn more about NYLPI, visit www.nylpi.org.
NYLPI is a nonprofit civil rights law firm committed to advancing equality and civil rights through community lawyering and partnerships with the private bar.
NYLPI offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. NYLPI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color and individuals with disabilities.