City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Afro Latin Jazz Alliance
Executive Director Afro Latin Jazz Alliance 645 St. Nicholas Avenue, #109 New York, NY 10030
The Executive Director will work in partnership with Founder and Artistic Director (AD), Arturo O'Farrill, along with the Board of Directors, to establish a strategic vision and organizational goals, for all of the programs of the ALJA.
The ED reports directly to the Board and is charged with creating strong and informed communication, development, and fiscal plans for internal and external stakeholders. The Executive Director should possess an ability to envision new goals and initiatives with the Artistic Director with great energy, vision, and passion. He/she should be able to represent both the AD and the organization at high-level meetings, presentations and events.
It is crucial that The Executive Director be able to work effectively with the Artistic Director on the development and management of multiple ideas and programs, along with having the ability to create the planning for a potential capital building project. He/she will be responsible for the management and direction of a staff of 3-5 people and report directly to the Board of Directors.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION The Afro Latin Jazz Alliance is the world's premier institution promoting Afro Latin Jazz and community-based music educational programs nationally and in the New York area. Led by founder, Arturo O'Farrill, the ALJA is dedicated to the performance, preservation, and education of this music and culture through many programs including its international touring, recording, a series at Symphony Space, educational residencies in NYC public schools, pre-professional training programs, and the archiving of the masterworks of the genre, as well as the commissioning of new compositions.
ABOUT THE POSITION The Executive Director will serve as the leader, chief fiscal officer and executive officer, as well as the major fundraiser of the organization. One of their primary goals is to develop the organization's infrastructure and a plan to take the ALJA to the next level.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Board relations including keeping members informed and engaged in efforts designed to raise crucial funding and profile of the organization
- Aggressively seeking new funding, both public and private, through grants and donations
- Seeking out performance opportunities and residencies by cultivating relationships with performance presenters, academic institutions, and booking agents
- Overseeing program development and the cultivation of new audiences
- Managing and administering staff to ensure that the flow and operations are effective and efficient
- Serving as liaison with The Fund for the City of New York, the ALJA's current fiscal sponsor
- Development of a volunteer staff
- Creatively looking towards the future growth of the organization by advocating for Afro Latin jazz, and seeking new opportunities for funding, performance, and cultural interchange
- Orchestrating the planning and development of a capital building project
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Experience: Ideal candidate will have at least a BA and no less than 6 to 10 years of prior experience in jazz, music, or arts education development and administration fields. Higher education and previous management experience is also preferred. A strong development history is a big plus.
Please apply with cover letter and cv to: firstname.lastname@example.org and/or please mail to Afro Latin Jazz Alliance, 1713 Eighth Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11215