City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Housing Counseling Specialist
Center for New York City Neighborhoods
The Center for New York City Neighborhoods ('the Center') is a nonprofit organization which aims to promote and protect affordable and sustainable homeownership in New York City, focusing on those neighborhoods hardest hit by foreclosure. The Center oversees funding for, coordinates and supports 39 Network Partners which are providers of housing counseling and legal services throughout New York City. Since Hurricane Sandy hit, the Center's Network Partners have added Sandy advice and assistance to the long list of services they offer to New York City residents.
The Center is seeking a full-time Housing Counseling Specialist to provide expert training and technical support to its Network Partners. This position requires the capability to identify, design, implement, maintain and monitor the training and technical support needs of the housing counseling component of our foreclosure prevention network.
General Job Description
The Housing Counseling Specialist will act as the Center's resident housing counseling expert by keeping updated on knowledge and resources in the foreclosure prevention and housing counseling fields, and sharing this knowledge with the network as well as with the Center's staff.
The Housing Counseling Specialist will be responsible for formulating monthly trainings as well as providing on-site trainings and direct technical assistance to housing counselors, addressing topics relating to loss mitigation, counseling best practices, data reporting, and other foreclosure prevention issues. The Specialist will aim to further develop individual housing counselor capacities by administering the Center's certification exams and assisting in the implementation of the Center's mentoring program.
The Housing Counseling Specialist reports to the Senior Program Manager for Training and Support, and will interact with other staff on program development, direction, and training needs.
• Assist in formulating and coordinating 11 trainings per year targeted for approximately 25-40 housing counselors and paralegals
• Conduct trainings as needed in subjects relating to housing counseling case management, organizational and best practices skills, and foreclosure prevention matters such as FHA and GSE loans, HAMP, and the National Mortgage Settlement
• Assist with identifying subject-matter experts to present at trainings
• Provide direct technical assistance to counselors in the network such as answering individual inquiries that may include loss mitigation options, procedures, and eligibility
• Conduct on-site visits to our Network Partner offices to share resources, best practices, and customized assistance and guidance
• Update the Center's two Resource Guides that includes tools, explanations, and recommendations for foreclosure prevention counseling
• Design, implement and further develop biannual certification exams for housing counselors and paralegals
• Assist in the implementation of professional development programs such as the Center's Mentoring Program
• Assist in maintaining and actively responding to the Center's listserv and updating the training/resources portion of our website
• At least three years of experience in housing assistance or counseling in foreclosure prevention
• Previous experience as a trainer or presenter preferred
• Bachelor’s degree or additional experience preferred
• Ability to interact and communicate clearly and effectively
• A strong personality with a supportive and encouraging demeanor
• Confidence in presenting to large audiences and experienced professionals
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, case management and data reporting programs such as CounselorMax
• Ability and willingness to travel throughout New York City
How TO APPLY:
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note “Housing Counseling Specialist” in the subject line.