City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
New Immigrant Community Empowerment
New Immigrant Community Empowerment (NICE) is a community based organization in Jackson Heights Queens dedicated to immigrant workers rights. We organize newly arrived immigrants, primarily day laborers and domestic workers and together we engage in community organizing, grassroots advocacy and leadership development to advance the rights of workers. Our campaigns focus on immigrant workers' and consumer rights, and immigrant civic engagement.
NICE seeks a qualified candidate for a staff position as an Advocacy Coordinator to help run our campaigns. Over the next year, the main focus of the Advocacy Coordinator will be NICE's Immigrant Consumer Justice Campaign (ICJC). The ICJC aims to end the substandard, fraudulent and predatory practices of businesses targeting immigrant workers and consumers, specifically two particularly egregious industries: employment agencies and immigration services providers.
The Advocacy Coordinator will be integral in the coordination of a statewide coalition working to combat employment agency fraud through legislative reform to better protect low-wage workers. S/he will also be involved in a statewide working group, co-convened with the New York Immigration Coalition, to develop regulatory, legislative and educational strategies to combat immigration services fraud especially in light of possible immigration reform
The Advocacy Coordinator’s specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Coordinate all campaign activities including coalition and working group meetings, community forums, press conferences, meetings with elected officials and meetings with government agencies.
• Work with coalition partners and NICE staff to develop campaign strategy through research, exploratory meetings, power mapping, etc.
• Work with NICE members, members of other organizations and other affected persons to develop written and oral testimonies, prepare to talk to the press, prepare to talk to legislators and prepare presentations.
• Develop written content for the campaign including website content, policy papers and outreach materials.
• Develop and maintain relationships with coalition and working group partners with include other community organizing groups, advocacy and legal services organizations and labor unions,
• Maintain records of meetings, campaign progress, contacts, etc.
• Assist with data entry and other clerical duties as necessary
• Experience with issue and/or electoral campaign work.
• Experience with coalition work preferred.
• Must have strong writing skills.
• Must have cultural and linguistic competency to work with low-wage immigrant workers and consumers
• Must have a strong command of the Spanish language
• Must feel comfortable working on multiple projects.
• Must have strong interpersonal skills.
How TO APPLY:
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to Jessica Garcia, Senior Organizer and Program Manager with the subject line "Advocacy Coordinator" at firstname.lastname@example.org. Call 718-205-8796 if you have any questions.
New Immigrant Community Empowerment (NICE) is a community based organization in Jackson Heights Queens dedicated to immigrant workers rights. We organize newly arrived immigrants, primarily day laborers and domestic workers and together we engage in community organizing, grassroots advocacy and leadership development to advance the rights of workers. Our campaigns focus on immigrant workers’ and consumer rights, and immigrant civic engagement.