City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Phipps Community Development Corporation
Program Description: The Education and Learning Initiative is working to build the capacity and improve the overall impact of Phipps' educational programming. The goal is to create educational standards, develop an overarching comprehensive curricula framework throughout the education programs, and evaluate outcomes to ensure quality and continuous improvement. The Education and Learning Initiative is working with Phipps' early childhood, youth services, and out-of-school youth portfolios.
Position Summary: As part of the Education and Learning team of Phipps CDC, the Education Specialist will be responsible for the design and implementation of instructional programming at Phipps CDC. The Education Specialist will facilitate development and execution of academic interventions and learning strategies to support the individual learning strengths of our diverse population of learners. S/he will provide expert instructional support and training for frontline staff, and will be integrally involved in building and refining curricula and developing assessment instruments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage the design, support, and effective implementation of youth-friendly, goal-oriented instruction that results in academic success for all students
• Serve as organizational expert in all aspects of teaching and learning, including current trends and research in the field of education
• Forge collaborations with instructional staff across the agency to ensure that curriculum and instruction meet the needs of a diverse population of learners, is aligned with NYS learning standards, and meets contractual expectations and benchmarks
• Oversee the development and refinement of curriculum and instruction practices at Phipps CDC
• Craft and implement academic intervention strategies that address the individualized learning strengths of a diverse population of learners
• Design assessment and goal setting instruments and supervise staff and volunteers through the implementation of these processes
• Coordinate comprehensive academic services for special populations of students
• Conduct periodic audits of instructional programming to ensure program quality, including sound provision of instruction, to help ensure the achievement of student goals
• Work with instructional and other staff to set high and measurable goals for student achievement
• Provide on-going instructional and curriculum development support for instructional staff and volunteers by conducting training, on-site coaching, and resource development
• Demonstrate an understanding and practice of the principles of positive youth development
• Attend all relevant meetings, trainings, workshops, outside events and organization-wide activities
• Handle additional responsibilities and functions as assigned by Director of Education and Learning
• Bachelor’s degree in education or related field required; Master’s degree preferred
• 3-5 years of experience in the field of education, preferably including a combination of teaching and administrative experience, in both school and out of school time settings
• Experience in training and supporting pedagogical staff
• Proven experience in guiding the development of curricula by other educators and youth workers
• Familiarity with research-based approaches to hands-on, experiential, community–based and/or project based learning models, differentiated instruction, mixed-skill and age groupings, culturally relevant teaching practices, and formative assessment techniques
• Strong knowledge of the academic and social needs of youth who are both in and out of school
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent program management skills
• Understanding of and ability to meet performance-based outcomes
• Ability to adapt quickly to change and work within a results-oriented environment
• Computer literacy
• Enthusiasm, creativity and initiative
How TO APPLY:
To Apply: Please forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Indicate the job title in the subject line.
In your cover letter please outline why this position is of interest, exactly how your experience matches the qualifications stated and what you believe differentiates you from other candidates. Additionally, please provide your salary requirements. Submissions without cover letters and salary requirements will not be considered.
About Phipps CDC: Phipps Community Development Corporation (Phipps CDC) is a 40-year-old multi-service nonprofit providing a comprehensive network of educational, work-readiness and community development programs to more than 8,000 children, teens and adults each year in targeted communities across the Bronx and Manhattan. These programs include: Head Start and Early Head Start, after-school, summer camp, literacy and ESOL, pre-GED, college prep, work readiness, resident support, and family programs.