City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
North Star Fund
The Communications Director reports to the Deputy Director and will lead North Star's communications and messaging strategy. The ideal candidate will be a creative leader with a proven track record in a social justice organization. He or she will be an effective project manager who is committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment. This position is an opportunity to raise the profile of an established community foundation and organize philanthropic activists to support grassroots-led social change in New York City. Specific responsibilities include:
Develop and lead implementation of communications plan and messaging strategy;
Ensure appropriate tone and brand consistency in all publications and successful integration of communications strategies across all departments;
Maintain the organization's website, including a redesign process in the first six months; Support other staff in producing regular website updates;
Lead media strategy and work with Executive Director and Media Advisor to write press releases, develop and pitch story ideas, and develop relationships with media contacts;
Coordinate with development department and produce messages and publications that support fundraising needs.
Content Development and Writing
Create compelling content, edit copy, guide visual design, and coordinate production for online and print publications and develop innovative use of video;
Recruit and manage content development consultants.
The salary range is competitive, based on experience, and includes an excellent fringe benefits package.
• Progressive philosophy and political vision compatible with North Star Fund’s mission to fund “change, beyond charity,” and the ability to work with diverse grantee and donor constituencies; Knowledge of community organizing;
• Strong leadership and vision for a compelling communications strategy;
• Exceptional writing and editing skills a must, including the ability to write for a variety of philanthropic, donor and grantee audiences and publications;
• Experience developing and implementing communications strategies for a nonprofit, fundraising organization;
• Good visual design sense; Proficiency in HTML, Drupal, Dreamweaver, Salesforce, and mass email programs preferred;
• Excellent attention to detail; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously; strong organizational skills and problem-solving abilities; ability to take initiative.
North Star Fund is firmly committed to affirmative action and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBT, elderly and disabled candidates to apply. We appreciate all applicants, but please be advised that we can only respond to those best qualified for the position.
How TO APPLY:
Send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to North Star Fund, 520 8th Ave. Suite 2203, NY, NY 10018-6656 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please. Application close date: Rolling with expectation to fill the position in January.
North Star Fund is New York's community foundation supporting grassroots groups leading the movement for equality, economic justice and peace.
By organizing donors, raising money for grants, and providing technical assistance, we support efforts ranging from better schools, housing and health care, to protecting civil liberties, creating living wage jobs, and advocating for peace, freedom and human rights.
Since our founding in 1979, North Star Fund has distributed $41 million to 1,750 groups working to create a more equitable and democratic city for all New Yorkers.