City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Chief Program Officer
Phipps Community Development Corporation
Chief Program Officer Company: Phipps Community Development Corporation Reports to: Executive Director/CEO Location: New York, NY
Position Summary: Phipps CDC has developed a Community Impact Model to maximize our ability to provide communities with the resources needed to increase opportunities, strengthen neighborhoods and transcend poverty. Key to the model are three core areas that Phipps CDC has identified as the greatest levers to help our communities break the cycle of poverty: Education Achievement, Career Readiness and Community Resources.
In 2011, Phipps CDC launched its Education and Learning Initiative in order to build Education Achievement capacity and improve the overall impact of Phipps CDC's education programming. The Initiative focuses on increasing the quality of services through the creation of a curriculum, assessment tools and a professional development plan that can be tailored to meet the needs of the specific sites and the population being served.
Building on our success with some of the "hardest to place" community members, Phipps CDC is poised to build on best practices and lessons learned within these programs in order to expand our Career Readiness. This expansion will include the development of a standard curriculum combining successful practices with research-based methodology. It also involves the development of targeted sectoral employment training initiatives, including the allied health services, in partnership with Montefiore Medical Center and Hostos Community College.
Recognizing that the provision of key supports bolsters the ability of community residents to overcome poverty and attain long-term success, Phipps CDC's Community Resources provide a critical link between community members and the services that enable them to thrive. These services, provided within a case management and advocacy framework, have included: benefits screening and access, financial counseling and debt management, affordable health care, free tax preparation, domestic violence counseling, substance abuse programs, and health/mental health services, among others. The Chief Program Officer is a newly established position responsible for leading the operations of a comprehensive array of services and programs, overseeing program development, high-quality implementation, evaluation and research, and continuous improvement of the program and professional development models. The Chief Program Officer will provide leadership in the planning, organization and consistent implementation of an innovative, high quality portfolio of robust programs in education, career readiness and supportive services, setting high standards across all aspects of the work. S/he will continuously review services being offered and develop new programs as needs emerge. S/he will create systems and structures that enable the program staff to effectively work together, identifying and leveraging best practices across sites, including overseeing communications and relevant data and technology platforms. The CPO will supervise program leadership, ensuring that this diverse collection of talent is directed toward a singular purpose: breaking the cycle of poverty in the communities we serve. As a dynamic leader, the CPO will engage staff to find innovative approaches to serve children, youth, and their families, building partnerships with other providers as necessary and expanding results in a cost-effective manner. The CPO will also be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the program aspects of the annual budget in conjunction with the Director of Finance and senior management. S/he is responsible for ensuring that all programs and services are in compliance with all federal, state, funding, and city regulations, certifications, and licensing requirements. This position will participate as a thought partner to executive team in setting organizational goals and strategy and developing plans for execution and implementation, thereby contributing to the strategic planning process. The CPO will work in deep collaboration with, and report directly to, the CEO as an integral member of the Executive Committee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee all programmatic aspects of Phipps CDC program portfolio, including developing, planning, implementing and evaluating programs, insuring they meet the highest quality standards and connect these needs to supervision of the team and individual staff plans
• Insure alignment and integration across program areas to maximize innovative cross functioning and comprehensive service delivery to the target population consistent with the organization’s vision, mission and Theory of Change model
• Monitor emerging community needs, industry trends and changes in legislation, recommending appropriate changes to address the needs of the community in alignment with the organization’s mission
• Develop procedures and systems to drive program quality, enhancement and innovation
• Lead and manage the programmatic management and operation of the organization and ensure that the expectations of funders, partners, constituents, clients, and community stakeholders are met
• Bring a creative problem-solving approach to program management while ensuring that the necessary planning is undertaken to ensure smooth programmatic operations
• Working with peers, continue to develop and implement structures, including Phipps CDC’s Achieving Success assessment protocol, to support successful achievement of outcomes and performance targets
• Develop a team-based environment for staff, providing for development, collaboration and well informed decision-making, including overseeing the recruitment, hiring, training, and supervision program staff and volunteers to perform at a high professional level
• Provide expertise and advice to staff in order to facilitate collaboration and partnerships internally well as externally
• Strengthen and maintain the management and governance culture and practices of the organization
• Develop and maintain relationships with funders
• Develop program budgets and insure the financial viability and sustainability of the organization through quality, impactful programming
• Work collaboratively with development office to develop and maintain a variety of public and private funding to support programs
• Promote the positive image of the organization and play a major role in making Phipps CDC a provider of choice in programs for the communities we serve
• Actively and prominently advocate on behalf of the community in appropriate forums where key policy issues are planned, debated and discussed.
• Communicate effectively and engage staff, constituents and stakeholders related to Phipps CDC
• Demonstrate an understanding of sound financial management principles in order to develop/monitor budgets, leverage resources, achieve targeted financial goals and support and strengthen program areas
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will be an effective and inspiring leader, possess boundless energy, a great sense of humor, superb strategic judgment, a strong passion for our work, a high tolerance for the fast pace and the ups and downs of our operations, and a strong track record of excellent management and leadership skills. He/she should be a results-oriented leader with strong evidence of use of data to drive strategy to achieve results and possess ssuccessful experience working in entrepreneurial environments, with the capacity to be flexible, collaborative, and solutions-oriented. The CPO must also possess exceptional writing, speaking, interpersonal and organization skills and must be able to be a great representative of Phipps CDC. Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to manage multiple priorities is a must. Administrative experience is essential including practical fiscal management, staff supervision, extensive program planning and development experience. Ability to multi-task, be goal oriented and possess a high energy level in order to succeed in a challenging, fast-paced environment. In keeping with the work, candidates must be able to travel, and work moderately irregular hours when needed. The candidate must hold at least a bachelor’s degree, Masters strongly preferred, and at least seven years of relevant experience.
How TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please email a resume and cover letter with “Chief Program Officer” in the subject line to: email@example.com
No phone calls, please.
Phipps Community Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, political affiliation, disability or any other protected status.
About Phipps CDC: Phipps Community Development Corporation (Phipps CDC) is a 41-year-old multi-service nonprofit providing a comprehensive network of educational and work-readiness programs, as well as critical community resources to more than 10,000 children, teens and adults each year in targeted communities across the Bronx and Manhattan. These programs include: Head Start, after-school, summer camp, literacy and ESOL, pre-GED, college prep, work readiness, resident supports, family programs and more.