City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Assistant Director, Community Revitalization
Location: 50 E. 168th Street, Bronx, NY 10452 Reports to: Director of Community Development
WHEDco's Community Development Department engages in neighborhood planning, and expansion of green, mixed-use developments in the South Bronx. Targeted initiatives include commercial revitalization, community safety, small business entrepreneurship, healthy living, advocacy, and the creation and expansion of exciting, innovative Bronx-based venues for the creative arts.
The Assistant Director will coordinate WHEDco’s efforts in various underserved sections of the Bronx. Activities may include:
• Food systems/health policy and programming: Organize crucial strategies to build sustainability in operations, including the programming of a commercial kitchen incubator. Deliver essential assistance to support the ongoing success of local food entrepreneurs.
• Contract management: Manage key relations with funders. Design programs, track progress toward goals, and employ data analyses to evaluate clients’ progress and program achievements.
• Community planning and design: Employ urban planning, organizing, placemaking and design principles to address local challenges, and issues as identified. Can involve the engagement of elected officials, local businesses and religious institutions, etc.
• Commercial revitalization: Collaborate in the management of a commercial corridor program. Involves the attraction of new retailers, provision of vital support to the existing merchant association, and generating an overall increase in local retail vibrancy.
• Master’s degree in Urban Planning, Public Policy/Administration, Business/Economic Development, Health, or a related field.
• Motivated, resourceful self-starter who takes initiative and works well with minimal oversight.
• Knowledge of urban planning principles and community development in low-income neighborhoods.
• At least three years of complex project management experience. Supervision of others.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to write grants and make presentations.
• Collaborative team player with a good sense of humor, excellent interpersonal skills, and sound judgment.
• Committed to engaging diverse constituents in underserved communities.
• Availability for evening and weekend events and/or meetings, as needed.
• Skilled in MS Office. Graphic design, website and/or GIS skills a plus.
• Proficiency in Spanish strongly desired. Arabic, Asian and/or African languages a plus.
Excellent benefits and competitive salary based on experience.
How TO APPLY:
To respond, send a cover letter and resume to one of the following: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 718-839-1170 Mail: WHEDco, 50 East 168th Street, Bronx, NY 10452 Attn: Director of Community Development
WHEDco is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco), a Bronx-based nonprofit housing and community development organization, seeks an Assistant Director to join its Community Development Department. WHEDco has worked for over twenty years to build a more beautiful, equitable, and economically vibrant Bronx. We reach over 35,000 people annually through energy-efficient, healthy and affordable homes; early childhood education and youth development; home-based childcare microenterprise and food business incubation; family support services; and free arts programming. See www.whedco.org for more information. WHEDco is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, color, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.