City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Regional Communications Manager: NEW ENGLAND
SEIU Local 32BJ
32BJ SEIU, the largest property service union in the country, is seeking an aggressive, nimble and creative Regional Communications Manger to help develop and drive a comprehensive and strategic communications program for our New England District, which includes New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and is anchored in Boston. The communications program includes media relations, social media and member communications for contract fights, organizing drives and legislative and political campaigns.
The Regional Communications Manager will be a key member of the union's communications team, strategizing, managing and prioritizing communications work with the geographically-based leadership team in Boston. Additional capacity to support the manager's work will be added by union- wide New Media and Member Communications Strategists.
Candidates should be creative thinkers, capable and skilled multi-taskers, who know how to utilize a range of communications tools to help advance campaigns. The Regional Communications Director reports to the Assistant to the President for Communications.
• Act as lead communications strategist and coordinator for the New England District, including New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and based in Boston;
• Create long-term plans, goals and priorities for communications in the assigned markets;
• Participate in campaign strategy and planning meetings with Area Leaders and campaign directors;
• Drive and execute communications plans, including media relations, new media and member communications, throughout the region; and identify needs for additional communications support at key junctures;
• Initiate contact with and respond to inquiries from print, radio, and television journalists; pitch story ideas and provide information to generate positive media coverage in the region; and work to identify opportunities to engage national media;
• Build relationships with labor, immigration, political and other key media in the region;
• Write news advisories, news releases, background pieces, fact sheets, message documents and other press materials for campaigns;
• Work with member communications staff on materials including newsletters, emails, texting and other resources for campaigns in the region;
• Conduct member interviews and spokesperson development for member communications materials and for public speaking;
• Strategize and implement new media components into campaigns, including concepts for microsites, Twitter, Facebook and email outreach;
• Perform other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
• Eight to ten years of experience in communications in labor, politics or advocacy organizations;
• Experience in strategic communications planning in large, multi-faceted organizations;
• Demonstrated experience as a project manager in a fast-paced, campaign-oriented work environment;
• Outstanding writer, able to create strong press releases, message documents and member communications materials;
• Familiarity with new media tools and openness to expanding skills in this area;
• Experience in working with and creating communications for union or organizational members on advocacy campaigns;
• Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work with union members, low-wage and immigrant communities;
• Ability to work independently, handle multiple priority projects and meet deadlines;
• Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments and planning
• Ability to travel regularly for planning meetings, events and member meetings;
• Very strong preference for a candidate comfortable speaking and writing in Spanish.
How TO APPLY:
Application • E-mail resume and three press-related writing samples, including your best press release, placement and op-ed to email@example.com. • No phone calls please.
32BJ SEIU, the largest property service union in the country, is working to create good jobs for 150,000 workers in building, food, security and school services and for all working families. At the forefront of the fight for economic justice in eleven states and Washington DC, 32BJ works to improve low-wage work and strengthen families and communities.