City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Executive Director, generationOn
Do you believe that innovation drives results and passion overcomes obstacles? Then join a fast- paced, mission-driven organization with a decidedly entrepreneurial spirit.
generationOn is the global youth service movement igniting the power of all kids to make their mark on the world. As the youth service division of Points of Light, a nonprofit, generationOn inspires, equips and mobilizes young people to take action that changes the world and themselves. With volunteer action at its core, generationOn mobilizes the energy, ingenuity and compassion of youth, starting at an early age, to discover their power and potential to solve real world problems through service while building 21st century skills and social and emotional learning.
Points of Light advances innovative civic strategies to achieve impact through service, and build an engaged citizenry. Points of Light organizes to innovate, incubate, and activate new ideas that help people act upon their power to make change. Currently, Points of Light operates dynamic business units that share a mission to equip, mobilize, and inspire people to take action that changes the world. GenerationOn is one of four business units at Points of Light that makes up the Points of Light family of Brands. It is the national youth engagement arm of Points of Light.
Position Summary: GenerationOn seeks a passionate, dynamic, driven, entrepreneurial and committed Executive Director to guide generationOn to achieve its vision to lead all young people to make their mark on the world and themselves. The Executive Director will have vision and strategic skills to become a transformational leader to help strengthen and expand generationOn's model youth programs and make an impact to reach a national and ultimately global scale. The successful candidate must be a strong leader, business minded, committed to children, service and education. This person must be able to lead in an environment that will be characterized by significant growth, diversity and change. The Executive Director's responsibilities will include providing the vision to change the lives of young people and overseeing the management of generationOn's assets, staff, fundraising efforts and programs while working with its partners, clubs, schools and over 250 HandsOn Network affiliates to reach young people in the United States and beyond. The Executive Director will provide the strong leadership necessary to live the global mission of generationOn as a business unit of Points of Light. They will be based in New York City and report to the President of Action Networks, based in Atlanta. The Executive Director will also work closely with an advisory committee of the Points of Light Board of Directors - the generationOn Board - to partner around the strategic direction, fundraising and impact metrics. They will interact extensively with funders and will spend significant time raising resources from companies, foundations and individuals as well as building partnerships and awareness for the organization's mission and work globally.
COMPENSATION: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience; excellent benefits.
Leadership and Oversight
• Provide vision, oversight and direction for the achievement of generationOn’s mission through building, planning and executing innovative programs, models and strategies.
National and Global Expansion
• Develop the growth business model from existing programs to scale generationOn programs nationally and globally
• Oversee and administer the expansion of youth service and civic engagement, working with HandsOn Network affiliates and global, national and local partners to serve the needs of communities across the U.S. and beyond
• Lead all development efforts, including corporation, foundation, government and individual funders to meet revenue goals for current operating needs and longer-term goals (approximately $4M annually).
• Partner with and engage national volunteers committed to the development and stewardship of the mission, fundraising efforts and outcomes around youth.
• Build and strengthen strategic alliances in the community on a local, national and global scale to advance the mission of generationOn.
• Serve as the face of the organization and galvanize the staff, board members, partners, volunteers and funders to support the mission and the work
• Maintain a positive, visible public image ensuring that generationOn is recognized as a leader in its field.
• Supervise all aspects of fiscal management and ensure that adequate financial controls are maintained.
• Hire, train, develop, motivate, and inspire staff
• Manage and establish performance standards and evaluations
• Ten years of professional experience with broad management, external relations and programmatic experience
• Professional experience may have been gained in the nonprofit, education or corporate sector or a blend
• Ability to manage, influence and inspire a wide variety of stakeholders, both internally and externally
• Successful fundraising track record, sales know-how and significant budget management experience
• Successful experience working with boards and volunteer leadership
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Knowledgeable about the national youth, service, education and philanthropic community;
• Strong external advocate and public speaker; ability to cultivate and attract partners and funders;
• Exceptional personal initiative and an ability to meet aggressive goals.
• Highly experienced in packaging and selling programs for both corporate and foundation funders
• Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree preferred.
• Must be able to domestically travel approximately 30%
• Team-oriented, proactive with a hands-on style
• Diplomatic with exceptional relationship- building skills
• Flexible, with the ability to juggle numerous priorities
• Bright and creative with an executive presence and style to represent the organization to multiple constituents
• Must be organized, creative, pro-active, detail-oriented, and strong ability to prioritize with superior time management and troubleshooting skills
• Ability to work in a highly team-oriented culture, with a “no job is too big or too small” approach
How TO APPLY:
Email cover letter and resume in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org Points of Light, Human Resources, 600 Means Street NW, Suite 210, Atlanta, Georgia 30318. Please use EDgen as your subject line. No phone calls please.