City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Middle School Guidance Counselor/Instructor
Location: MS 218 on 167th Street and Gerard Avenue Reports to: Project STEP Program Director Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Project STEP Director, the Guidance Counselor/Instructor will develop and facilitate a high school prep curriculum to all current sixth and seventh grade students in our After School program. S/he will also support the eighth grade students in their high school selection process as needed.
Starting Salary: $30/hr Hours: 3:00-5:00 Two -Four afternoons per week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, plus one hour prep per day Starting Date: December, 2013
• Provide information, guidance, and general test preparation for NYC High School entrance exams
• Teach small groups and design appropriate lesson plans/workshops/exercises to suit the size and learning needs of the group
• Maintain knowledge of trends in education, career exploration and educational planning
• Meet with teachers about IEP’s and special needs of students in sixth through eighth grades
• Administer test and evaluate results
• Support students in their high school admissions process
• Attend weekly staff/planning meetings
• Bachelor’s degree in related field. Master’s Degree in progress or completed.
• Strong academic skills in English and Math
• Demonstrated interest in the field of education and child development
• Minimum two years professional experience working with children in a classroom, after school, or community based environment; substantial volunteer work will be considered
• Familiarity with NYC High School admissions procedures and course materials
• Proficient in understanding IEP’s and special needs and services for students
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
• Well organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively
• Able to work afternoons
• Previous work experience in low-income communities
How TO APPLY:
To respond, send a cover letter and resume to one of the following: Email: MSGC@whedco.org Attn.: Project STEP Program Director
WHEDco is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco), a Bronx-based nonprofit housing and community development organization, seeks a Middle School Guidance Counselor/Instructor to join its Education and Youth Development Department. WHEDco has worked for over twenty years to build a more beautiful, equitable, and economically vibrant Bronx. We reach over 35,000 people annually through energy- efficient, healthy and affordable homes; early childhood education and youth development; home- based childcare microenterprise and food business incubation; family support services; and free arts programming. See www.whedco.org for more information.