City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Middle School Guidance Counselor/Instructor
Location: MS 218 on 167th Street and Gerard Avenue Reports to: Project STEP Program Director Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Project STEP Director, the Guidance Counselor/Instructor will develop and facilitate a high school prep curriculum to all current sixth and seventh grade students in our After School program. S/he will also support the eighth grade students in their high school selection process as needed.
Starting Salary: $30/hr Hours: 3:00-5:00 Two -Four afternoons per week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, plus one hour prep per day Starting Date: December, 2013
• Provide information, guidance, and general test preparation for NYC High School entrance exams
• Teach small groups and design appropriate lesson plans/workshops/exercises to suit the size and learning needs of the group
• Maintain knowledge of trends in education, career exploration and educational planning
• Meet with teachers about IEP’s and special needs of students in sixth through eighth grades
• Administer test and evaluate results
• Support students in their high school admissions process
• Attend weekly staff/planning meetings
• Bachelor’s degree in related field. Master’s Degree in progress or completed.
• Strong academic skills in English and Math
• Demonstrated interest in the field of education and child development
• Minimum two years professional experience working with children in a classroom, after school, or community based environment; substantial volunteer work will be considered
• Familiarity with NYC High School admissions procedures and course materials
• Proficient in understanding IEP’s and special needs and services for students
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
• Well organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively
• Able to work afternoons
• Previous work experience in low-income communities
How TO APPLY:
To respond, send a cover letter and resume to one of the following: Email: MSGC@whedco.org Attn.: Project STEP Program Director
WHEDco is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco), a Bronx-based nonprofit housing and community development organization, seeks a Middle School Guidance Counselor/Instructor to join its Education and Youth Development Department. WHEDco has worked for over twenty years to build a more beautiful, equitable, and economically vibrant Bronx. We reach over 35,000 people annually through energy- efficient, healthy and affordable homes; early childhood education and youth development; home- based childcare microenterprise and food business incubation; family support services; and free arts programming. See www.whedco.org for more information.