City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Marketing & Communications Manager
- Paid Investigative Reporting Internships
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English Community Liaison
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Community Schools Coordinator
Phipps Community Development Corporation
Community School Coordinator Company: Phipps Community Development Corporation Reports to: Chief Strategy Officer Location: New York, NY (position located at East Bronx Academy)
Position Summary: Phipps Community Development Corporation and the East Bronx Academy for the Future are creating the Phipps CDC Community School at East Bronx Academy in January, 2014. The school will service the 6th through 12th grade student population at East Bronx Academy, their families and the larger community in the Crotona neighborhood of the Bronx. The Phipps CDC Community School at East Bronx Academy will bring together a strong and active set of partners to address the needs of the school and the surrounding community. The Community School will use a governance structure that relies on strong collaboration and interaction. This Community School is an important component of Phipps CDC's Community Impact model to maximize our ability to provide communities with the resources needed to increase opportunities, strengthen neighborhoods and transcend poverty. Key to the model are three core areas that Phipps CDC has identified as the greatest levers to help our communities break the cycle of poverty: Education Achievement, Career Readiness and Community Resources. We are adding an important role to Phipps CDC that will work inside partner schools and leverage Phipps CDC and other local services and enrichment opportunities on behalf of student success. The Community School Coordinator will collaborate daily with other Phipps staff and with the East Bronx Academy community where the office will be located. Staff members at EBA work in a team structure, where they collaborate every day to meet students' needs and to learn from one another. Teachers and other staff members work together to make the school work for our students and families, and this collaboration is built into the daily life of the school.
Job Description Phipps CDC seeks a full-time Community School Coordinator to fill this position. Responsibilities include:
• Manage the launch of a Community School Model including managing the day-to-day partnerships between the school and partner organizations
• Identify student and community needs, in collaboration with school leadership and based on student and family outreach and surveys
• Develop, deepen and coordinate community partnerships with varied community based organizations and service providers to meet the identified needs of students, families, and the school
• Communicate with students frequently and effectively, connecting students to a range of services and programs inside and outside the school that address their physical, emotional, cognitive, and social development
• Supervise Community School Staff and interns and manage consistent service delivery across partnership
• Observe and evaluate staff performance and provide and / or facilitate ongoing relevant professional development for staff
• Plan and lead Town Halls, Community School partnership meetings and other formal spaces for planning and community input (including evenings and weekends)
• Build positive and trusting relationships with students that affirm their strengths and support their growth
• Create , disseminate and promote a calendar of services and activities to be provided in the school including evenings, weekends and in the summer
• Engage families and caregivers in supporting the education of their children and the ways in which academic outcomes are enhanced by serving the social-emotional and personal development needs of the child.
• Participate in the data collection , management and analysis on student outcomes, and use data regularly for continuous improvement of the program model
• Manage record-keeping related to the program’s deliverables
Qualifications/Experience: The ideal candidate will be high-energy leader, with a passion for helping all young people succeed, and a track record of strong management skills. The CSC must possess exceptional writing, speaking, interpersonal and organization skills and must be able to be a great representative of Phipps CDC and school leadership. Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to manage multiple priorities is a must. Finally, he/she should be a pro-active leader and have successful experience working in entrepreneurial environments, with the capacity to be flexible, collaborative, and solutions-oriented. Required:
• Bachelor’s degree (particularly with coursework in Education or Social Work)
• 3+ years of relevant experience, experience working in an urban school environment preferred
• Evidence of culturally competent practices and familiarity with NYC non-profits and social services
• Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff, student body and families, as well as a team of professionals at the school and across the organization
• Master’s degree in School Counseling or Social Work
• Spanish fluency
• Experience using student data to guide practice.
How TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please email a resume and cover letter with “Community School Coordinator” in the subject line to: email@example.com No phone calls, please.
About Phipps CDC: Phipps Community Development Corporation (Phipps CDC) is a 41-year-old multi-service nonprofit providing a comprehensive network of educational and work-readiness programs, as well as critical community resources to more than 10,000 children, teens and adults each year in targeted communities across the Bronx and Manhattan. These programs include: Head Start, after-school, summer camp, literacy and ESOL, pre-GED, college prep, work readiness, resident supports, family programs and more. About East Bronx Academy: East Bronx Academy is a small, 6th-12th grade school where we know that all people learn by doing. Our mission is to reach all students by using technology and hands-on, active learning to make sure students learn the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in college and the world of work. Our school day includes extended periods of study designed to allow deep learning about an area of study. EBA students are nurtured and supported by caring adult advisors who make sure they are on track academically and socially.