City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Chief Financial Officer
Broadway Housing Communities
BHC is seeking a highly skilled and experienced financial executive who will lead and provide strategic direction relating to all matters of the organization's financial management including audit and tax preparation, budgeting, financial reporting, business planning, developing and directing economic forecasts and analyzing opportunities for growth and investment. Reporting to, and working in close collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the ideal candidate will bring an understanding of nonprofit accounting and experience managing the finances of a complex organization with multiple entities, programs and funding sources, both government and private. This is a senior leadership position expected to serve as a partner to the Executive Director (ED) and COO and contribute to planning for the long-term growth and sustainability of the agency.
• Provide strategic financial leadership and decision-making and serve as the principal financial advisor to the Executive Director, COO, Board of Directors and Senior Executive Team.
• Provide overall supervision of payroll, purchasing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general accounting functions of finance department
• Manage all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets
• Serves as liaison to external audit firms and oversee organization's annual audit process and filing of all city, state and federal tax filings, A-133 audit and Charity filings.
• Work closely with executive and program staff to prepare annual organizational, program and grant budgets; meet regularly with executive leadership and program directors to monitor departmental budgets and insure management to budget
• Engage development department to align financial management with short- and long-term financial planning and projections
• Present organizational budgets to Board Finance Committee and Board of Directors for approval
• Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for board of directors, funders, and other stake holders as needed
• Work with the Board to oversee the investment of the endowment; Serve as primary liaison with investment counselors and all banking relationships.
• Place and manage procurement and monitoring of all business insurance, including, property and liability, professional liability and D & 0 insurance.
• Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and finance staff maintains financial record systems, compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws.
• Manage grants and contracts management systems, including cost allocation plans; integrating organization’s annual budget and restricted funding; manage budget modifications, contract reporting, revenue vouchering and collection processes
• Oversee rent administration and integration with organization’s finance department
• Oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with organization’s strategic plan.
• Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based, and departmental accounting
• Manage current finance team comprised of three accounting professionals and support staff; evaluate needs of finance department to ensure adequate staffing and other resources to manage growth of agency
• Work with IT staff to assess and integrate necessary technology infrastructure
• Represent BHC at meetings with government officials, foundations, and other potential funders and donors.
• 7+ years of broad financial experience, including history managing the finance and administration of a high-growth organization (preference given to nonprofit experience with budgets of at least $10MM)
• BA/BS degree required. Master’s Degree, MBA, CPA preferred.
• Comprehensive understanding of accounting and financial management.
• Experience with public sector financing and working with non-profit governance systems
• Familiarity with affordable housing capital sources, low income housing and new market tax credits
• Extensive knowledge of public accounting and in social service not-for-profit sector.
• Demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting.
• Excellent analytical and forecasting skills
• Superior Excel skills and experience with automated financial systems (Fund EZ and Yardi preferred.)
• An effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills.
• Strong leadership skills and commitment to developing team members.
• Flexible self-starter, able to multi-task while also being highly detail-oriented
• Willingness to be hands- on as well exercise supervision and oversight
• Personal qualities of the highest integrity, transparency and accountability.
How TO APPLY:
To apply for a position at BHC, please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com. Applicant review will continue until position is filled. Please indicate “CFO” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
A growing organization founded in 1983, Broadway Housing Communities is committed to addressing the challenges of poverty and homelessness for adults, children, families and entire communities in Upper Manhattan. BHC has developed six buildings that provide housing and other services for adults, children and families living in deep poverty; operates an award winning early childhood center; and provides opportunities for tenants and the wider community to engage with the cultural arts. A seventh project is now under construction in the Sugar Hill neighborhood of Harlem and will include affordable housing; an expanded childcare center; and a children’s museum of art and storytelling along with other community facilities.
Salary commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, 403(b) plan and paid time off. For more information, please go to www.bhc.org
BHC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, national origin, age, citizen status, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability.