City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Community Health Organizer
Montefiore School Health Program
As a member of the clinical inter-disciplinary team, the Community Health Division (CHD) uses a public health approach to eliminate health disparities facing children living in the Bronx.
Through a comprehensive strategy, the Community Health Organizer (CHO) provides leadership and support in developing health-promoting school environments to improve the well-being of all students and their communities. The CHO is responsible for coordinating the effective delivery of classroom-, school- and community-based health promotion and preventive initiatives in cooperation with the school, community partners, government agencies and community members. The MSHP Community Health Division seeks to hire a Community Health Organizer to work within a high school campus to promote the school-based health centers’ objectives and community health programs. Advanced level of written and spoken Spanish is highly preferred.
Associate’s Degree in community health, health administration, or related field with a strong focus on public health with three years professional experience conducting health-specific programs and/or policy initiatives involving one or more of the following constituents: children, adolescents, parents, school administrators, teachers, public health and medical professionals.
• Proficiency in basic public health issues, methods and principles. Knowledge in developing and implementing strategies to reduce public health problems.
• Experience conducting outreach to and forming coalitions with Community-Based Organizations.
• Advanced level of written and spoken Spanish is highly preferred.
• Knowledge, understanding and experience in two of the following public health areas: asthma, reproductive health, fitness and nutrition.
• Familiar with needs assessments and reporting.
• Excellent organizational skills. Ability to successfully manage competing demands and monitor multiple programs simultaneously.
• Skilled, engaging and confident communicator. Understands the concerns and priorities of diverse audiences.
• Effective team building skills. Able to demonstrate leadership on projects by working independently. Able to work within a team environment and work collaboratively to accomplish common goals and objectives.
• Strong relationship management skills. Experience in fostering and maintaining cross-sector collaborations.
• Communication competence with students in Kindergarten through Grade 12.
• Ability to use data entry and retrieval systems.
• Able to work evening hours and weekends for community health-related events and programming.
• Able to travel throughout Bronx, NY and work within NYC DOE public schools.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
• Comfortable and experienced in speaking in front of large groups.
• Salary is in the high 30s with full benefits.
How TO APPLY:
Please send resumes and cover letters to: email@example.com with “Community Health Organizer Position” in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters and applicants who do not meet the requirements will not be accepted. Submit by: February 28, 2014
No phone calls, please.
The Montefiore School Health Program (MSHP) provides comprehensive medical, dental, mental, and community health services to students in 21 public school sites in the Bronx. Our health centers, positioned within the school, provide full access to high quality comprehensive primary and preventive health services regardless of a student’s ability to pay.