City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- SW - Scattered Site (LI) Social Worker
- Analyst (Community Coordinator)
- RESEARCH SCIENTIST // City Research Scientist II
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
North Star Fund
Are you a great communications strategist with a passion for social justice? A smart, political storyteller who can write to deadline, and colleagues call a compelling writer? Do you think more people should know about the work of grassroots activist groups?
Local social justice stories are woefully underreported by mainstream media. North Star Fund has begun to play a greater role in gathering and framing these stories, and making them heard through our own and external media outlets. Our goal is to be an ever-stronger voice for the deep social change work that our philanthropic organizing and fundraising make possible.
The Communications Director will lead these efforts. The ideal candidate will be a strong, enthusiastic writer for a donor audience and a creative strategist with a proven track record of raising awareness of the power of grassroots activism. This position will report to and work closely with the Executive Director, and will help recruit and supervise a communications associate.
• Lead North Star’s strategic communications vision, positioning and framing;
• Develop and deliver timely and strategic communications to build North Star Fund’s visibility through print, social media, online and multimedia platforms;
• Continue development of, and manage a dynamic website with compelling stories to attract a diverse audience of progressive people with wealth;
• Utilize print and online op-eds, rapid letter responses, and story placement in key outlets to increase North Star Fund’s presence as a leader in New York City grassroots philanthropy;
• Supervise communications associate and manage communications consultants and vendors;
• Connect our communications plan with development priorities to maximize resources for North Star Fund.
• Deep knowledge of progressive social justice issues; knowledge of community organizing in New York City a plus;
• Outstanding writer a must with the ability to create a compelling narrative arc;
• Strong leadership and vision for a compelling communications strategy, which supports the diverse development strategies of a fundraising organization;
• Good visual design sense and ability to maintain brand consistency;
• Able to meet deadlines, manage a project with many moving parts and sweat the details.
How TO APPLY:
North Star Fund is firmly committed to affirmative action and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, elderly and disabled candidates to apply. We appreciate all applicants, but please be advised that our capacity allows to only respond to those best qualified for the position.
Compensation The salary range is competitive, based on experience, and includes an excellent fringe benefits package.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to North Star Fund, 520 8th Ave. Suite 2203, NY, NY 10018-6656 or email email@example.com. No calls please. Application close date: Rolling with expectation to fill the position in April.
North Star Fund is New York's community foundation supporting grassroots groups leading the movement for equality, economic justice and peace. By inspiring donors to give and awarding grants for grassroots organizing and activism, North Star Fund is building a community of progressive leaders in a movement to achieve lasting social change.