City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
OurDC is a community-based organization fighting for racial and economic justice for the city's low-income and working class, predominantly African American population. We prioritize leadership development to amplify the voices of historically marginalized people and organizing campaigns founded on a comprehensive race/class/power analysis, research and leveraging labor, community, faith and political relationships to advance a progressive policy agenda and vision for a just society.
OurDC is an emerging and growing organization which has helped workers fight for rights and dignity on the job, against corporate and public economic development pushing out working families from the city, and for humane immigration reforms, among other issues. We recently worked on the campaign to push the Administration for an executive order to raise the minimum wage for workers in federal buildings http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/miniumum- wage-executive-order-barack-obama-103450.html? hp=r3. OurDC is a partner of the Center for Popular Democracy, a national training and support center for community organizing groups based in Washington, DC.
The position requires significant experience in community and/or labor organizing and will call upon the skills and passion of a first-rate organizer and strategist. As Organizing Director, you will have the opportunity to build world class organizing program.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
• Building powerful local issue campaigns focusing on racial and economic justice, living wage, and labor.
• Building new, powerful community organizations in target communities;
• Oversight of staff which includes supervising a growing team of diverse organizers, recruitment, community leaders, and training;
• Develop and conduct multiple leadership and organizer trainings;
• Developing strong relationships with coalition partners, community allies and union members;
• Development and implementation of a communications plan which aims to promote the activities and campaigns of the organization; and
• Collaborate with the Executive Director to develop strategy, organize events/actions and communicate the campaign message.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
• Commitment to OurDC’s mission to build power for directly impacted communities;
• Significant and proven leadership skills developed through several years in senior management positions;
• At least several years’ experience in community or labor organizing;
• Understanding of not-for-profits and experience working with Board of Directors;
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; strong presentation skills;
• The ability to foster a positive work culture that encourages teamwork, strategic planning and collaboration;
• Ability to be a team player and work in a highly collaborative, fast paced environment;
• Experience training, motivating and supervising community, labor, or electoral organizers;
• Preference for excellent writing and communications skills;
• Experience in start-up organizations and/or campaigns is a plus; and
• Strong work ethic and willingness to work evenings and weekends when projects demand it.
How TO APPLY:
Please email a detailed cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Organizing Director” in the subject line of the email.