City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Executive Director
- Mental Health Clinician & Informatics Specialist
- Legislative/Policy Director (Full Time Position)
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Transportation Alternatives is New York City's leading transportation advocacy organization, with a citywide network of 100,000 supporters committed to better bicycling, walking and public transit in the five boroughs. Our mission is to reclaim New York City's streets from the automobile, and to advocate for bicycling, walking and public transit as the best transportation alternatives.
Summary of Position We are seeking a self-motivated and energetic person to coordinate campaigns that will make Brooklyn's streets safer and more accessible for people to walk, ride bikes and take public transportation. Applicants should be familiar with current local politics, have experience in political and/or community organizing and have a strong affinity for the mission of Transportation Alternatives.
Most of your time will be spent working with people and neighborhood leaders in Brooklyn to organize support for measures that make local streets safer for biking and walking. This will not be a traditional 9-5 position. Night and weekend work will be required, as you will need to attend community board meetings, meet with local community members in the evening and conduct outreach events on the weekends.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Conducting outreach, recruiting volunteers to transform community streets by attending and hosting public meetings; canvassing and conducting targeted online recruitment campaigns, among other initiatives
• Developing relationships with key political players, opinion leaders and allied organizations
• Developing strong volunteer leaders
• Participating in coalitions with other organizations
• Union, community or political organizing experience
• Strong time management skills, with the ability to meet goals and deadlines while working independently
• Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task
• Detail-oriented and extremely well-organized
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build trust and maintain relationships with dozens of community partners
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Adept with social media and other web-based outreach tools
• Knowledge of Brooklyn neighborhoods
• Basic Adobe InDesign skills are a plus.
• Commitment to NYC
• Commitment to organizing people to achieve change
• Comfort working independently in a fast-paced campaign environment
• A sense of humor
Compensation: We offer competitive salary and benefits including an employer contributed health/dental plan, a matching retirement plan, 3 weeks paid vacation, professional development opportunities, transit/bike commuter benefits and indoor bike parking. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
How TO APPLY:
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "Brooklyn Organizer" in the subject line
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
No phone calls or walk-ins, please