City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Legislative/Policy Director (Full Time Position)
Transportation Alternatives seeks a highly motivated and accomplished public policy and transportation expert to contribute to our campaigns to win more bicyclist- and pedestrian-friendly policies and advance Vision Zero in New York City. Through legislation, legal action, lobbying and other words that start with the letter "L," this staff member will work with our team to educate elected officials, government agency staff, business and civic leaders and the public about our policy goals and related work. The focus will primarily be directed at New York City, though it could include Albany and Washington D.C. as well.
This position will work with our entire staff to build relationships and advance program, policy and media solutions.
• Develop, execute and win policy and legislative campaigns
• Manage T.A.’s city and state legislative agendas and related organizational activities
• Draft and distribute bill memos, advocacy materials, reports
• Manage hearing preparation: draft testimony, coordinate witnesses, brief elected officials, advise media strategy
• Build relationships with elected officials and staff
• Develop and maintain expertise in the laws of the City and State of New York related to transportation, traffic safety and related topics
• Monitor the legislative process in New York City and Albany
• Identify and act on opportunities to advance and win policy reforms
• Provide legal advice/analysis to staff. Draft contracts and provide other legal support
• Serve as T.A.’s general legal counsel on advocacy, organizational and other matters
• Strong interest in Transportation Alternatives’ mission
• Law degree is preferred, though not required
• Extensive experience working with New York City and state elected officials, government agency staff and the business communities
• Broad knowledge and experience in legislative process. contract law, IRS nonprofit rules
• Familiarity with the legislative process, including legislative bill drafting
• Must be able to write clearly and persuasively
• Accomplished campaign manager with proven successes
• Highly organized, self-motivated and able to work closely with others
• Insatiable appetite to learn about transportation, road safety and public space
• Commitment to making NYC a better place to bike, walk and use public transit
• Comfort working independently in a fast-paced campaign environment
• A good sense of humor
Compensation: We offer competitive salary and benefits including an employer contributed health/dental plan, a matching retirement plan, 3 weeks paid vacation, professional development opportunities, transit/bike commuter benefits and indoor bike parking. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
How TO APPLY:
Please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Legislative/Policy Director Search” as the subject line
No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.