City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- SW - Scattered Site (LI) Social Worker
- Analyst (Community Coordinator)
- RESEARCH SCIENTIST // City Research Scientist II
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
AJ Muste Memorial Institute
AJ MUSTE MEMORIAL INSTITUTE Executive Director Job Description
Background: The A.J. Muste Memorial Institute ("AJMMI") is a support organization for activist groups in New York City. Founded in 1974, the Institute provides practical, concrete and on-going support through its many grant-making programs that promote grassroots activism in the United States and around the world in areas that include non-violent leadership training, defending immigrant rights, anti-death penalty, counter recruitment, and much more. Through their Fiscal Sponsorships program, AJMMI also helps organizations that do not have their own tax-exempt charitable status receive legal tax deductible contributions for educational work related to peace and justice. In addition, it provides affordable office space to social action nonprofit organizations in its three-story loft building affectionately known as the "Peace Pentagon."
AJMMI honors the memory of A. J. Muste, one of the leading nonviolent social activists of his time. Muste dedicated his life to pacifism and focused his energy on war resistance, civil rights, civil liberties and disarmament. A leader in the labor and civil rights movement, A.J. Muste was respected and admired by people of all ages and from varied backgrounds for his ability to draw together divergent political factions to organize for social change.
AJMMI is poised to grow in both size and influence. To facilitate this growth, the Board has decided to change the current leadership structure. As a result, they are looking for a smart and experienced Executive Director who has the vision to work with the Board to maximize the Institute's impact.
The AJ Muste Memorial Institute seeks a dynamic and dedicated individual to be its next Executive Director (ED). Reporting to and working with the Board of Directors, the ED will provide visionary leadership and advocate successfully on behalf of the organization and its constituents in the public and private sectors. The ED will have a passion for the mission of AJMMI and be able to convey a strong and positive image of the organization. The ED should have knowledge and insight into some of the challenges currently facing the social justice movement and be able to articulate complex problems in clear, precise and engaging language. He or she should be a skilled manager with a proven track record in development, financial management, asset management, public relations, and organization growth.
The ED must be able to work closely with the Board and staff to promote an open, inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork with a minimum of ego. He or she must be tactful and respectful of differences while being a bridge-builder among competing interests. A continual learner, the ED should be someone who keeps up with social and political trends, follows non-profit best practices and takes advantage of emerging opportunities. In addition, he or she will be bright, diplomatic, analytical, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
Leadership, management, administration, fundraising, financial management, board relations, communications, programs, building management, and creative oversight.
• Develop a strategic vision for AJMMI and plan for its implementation in conjunction with the Board of Directors and other stakeholders
• Manage day-to-day operations of AJMMI, including financial and building management, as well as the establishment of policies and procedures
• Lead and execute a fundraising plan that will expand the current donor base, including researching and overseeing funding opportunities through grants, major donor cultivation, grassroots fundraising, and events
• Represent and be the spokesperson for AJMMI by presenting the mission of AJMMI in a compelling and engaging manner through marketing, public relations, and social media
• Oversee all accounting functions including those necessary for auditing, budgeting, financial analysis, capital analysis and property management in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
• Manage existing grant programs and initiate new possibilities
• Recruit and engage a strong board of directors; Support the effectiveness of the Board and the achievement of its priorities
• Cultivate and maintain a harmonious work environment for staff, volunteers, tenant groups and others involved with the AJMMI
• Have overall supervisory responsibility for staff – including staff development, training and hiring/termination for full- and part-time workers and volunteers.
• Manage evaluation of staff and other Institute personnel.
• BA required, advanced degree preferred
• At least 5 – 8 years leadership experience in business and/or non-profit management
• Proven fundraiser able to work with existing resources and develop new ones; Knowledge of and participation in grant procurement, individual donor, planned giving, corporate sponsorship and event management. Capital campaign experience a plus
• Strong analytic skills and ability to direct both the short- and long-term priorities of the organization
• Ability to evaluate financial projections that secure the long-term viability of AJMMI and its grant making and sheltering mission
• Ability to serve as public face of the organization, able to engage audiences of varying sizes and interests in the business of the mission
• Capacity for working with diverse constituencies and comfortable with distinct points of view
• Ability to attract, retain, and develop talented, committed people to the organization
• Social media and technological proficiency as a means to build efficient operating systems and enhance communication
• Capable of working and communicating well with the press and social media
For more information about the AJ Muste Memorial Institute, please visit www.ajmuste.org Salary is commensurate with experience.
How TO APPLY:
The AJ Muste Memorial Institute has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to: Jack Lusk, Managing Partner or Gina Roose, Research Director 122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605 New York, NY 10168 AJMuste@harrisrand.com