City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Executive Director
- Mental Health Clinician & Informatics Specialist
- Legislative/Policy Director (Full Time Position)
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Senior Communications Officer
New Visions For Public Schools
At New Visions for Public Schools, a leading education reform organization in New York City serving a network of 75 district schools and an emerging network of 6 charter high schools, the Senior Program Officer (SPO) for Communications serves as the senior writer, editor, project manager and creative strategist for the unit. The SPO is responsible for coordinating the efforts of the communications department in support of New Visions' goals in media relations, web and print publications, social media, public and community engagement, marketing, advocacy efforts, and branding and positioning.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Acting Vice President for External Affairs, the Senior Program Officer:
• Develops and implements a comprehensive communications strategy that includes media, web content development, print publications, fundraising communications and public outreach.
• Works closely with senior staff (including charter school recruitment team and teacher certification team) to execute communications and marketing plans that advance organizational goals.
• Works with development team to design, create and execute production of relevant donor- facing materials, for fundraising events, presentations, site visits and more.
• Organizes tasks of the communications team to meet timelines and deadlines.
• Supports and/or oversees creative planning, production and dissemination of print and digital collateral, such as the organization’s Annual Report, occasional video content, blog posts and more.
• Provides communications support to the organization’s advocacy activities at the community, city and state level.
• Works with the Acting VP of External Affairs to develop metrics to quantify, track and evaluate social media and website engagement.
• Maintains the quality and branding consistency of all written and online materials, including PowerPoint presentations, marketing collateral and in-house documents.
• Oversees, edits or drafts copy for multiple purposes, including the New Visions website, print publications, marketing campaigns, newsletters and presentations.
• Maintains the editorial integrity of New Visions website content, and collaborate with the rest of the communications team to develop fresh and engaging content.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
• At least five to seven years’ experience in journalism, public affairs, political campaigns, government, and/or public relations/marketing (or a combination of these).
• Experience in education and/or public policy in New York City is highly desirable.
• Knowledge of the current political landscape and the ability to become quickly familiar with public education (the critical issues locally and nationally and key players in New York City and State).
• Experience managing multi-platform communications initiatives.
Required Skill Sets and Knowledge Base:
• Extraordinary writing and editing skills, with demonstrated ability to write about complex and controversial issues and to translate information to broad audiences; proven ability to edit the work of others according to accepted style standards (such as AP style).
• Impressive attention to detail, strong personal initiative and ability to work in a fast- moving environment.
• Superb interpersonal skills with a history of forging strong relationships with multiple, diverse stakeholders, including school personnel, teachers and students; strong listening and speaking ability.
• Creative solving problem ability and design savvy.
• Working knowledge of national and city media; contacts in the New York City press community a plus.
• Evidence of success in proactive as well as reactive communications situations.
• Experience using social media creatively and with impact; knowledge of editorial standards for the web is critical.
• Strong personal diplomacy, including a highly professional temperament and the ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
How TO APPLY:
Please click on the link below listed below:
New Visions for Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer. New Visions provides a comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits package in addition to the opportunity to make a significant impact on education reform and in the lives of urban youth.
New Visions for Public Schools is a nonprofit organization that designs, creates and sustains great schools for New York City’s highest need students. We are dedicated to ensuring that all New York City public school students, regardless of race or economic class, have access to a high- quality education that prepares them for the rigors of college and the workforce.
Our team is made up of staff with experience as teachers, principals and superintendents, bringing first-hand knowledge of New York City’s public schools to our work helping to raise student achievement. Other staff bring expertise in education policy, teacher preparation, data systems, digital technology, community relations, fundraising and nonprofit operations.