City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Executive Director
- Mental Health Clinician & Informatics Specialist
- Legislative/Policy Director (Full Time Position)
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Youth Media Educator
Manhattan Neighborhood Network
The MNN El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center is a newly renovated state-of-the-art television production facility dedicated to education, production and community outreach. Housed at the Firehouse, MNN's Youth Media Center (YMC) offers educational programs and opportunities for young people ages 15 through 21 to become 21st Century communicators and to learn about the critical role media can play in society. YMC's programs aim seek to give producers the skills to produce and distribute media that voices concerns about the political, cultural, and social issues impacting their everyday lives.
The MNN El Barrio Firehouse is seeking a Youth Media Educator to join the team responsible for developing and implementing youth education programs and activities, including training in field and television studio production, mobile storytelling, and workshops in advanced media topics. The Youth Media Educator will provide hands-on instruction and guide young people to achieve MNN Producer Certification. The position works closely with and reports directly to the Manager of Youth Education. It is a 35-hour-a-week position that includes work on Saturdays and some evenings.
Education & Training
• Assists the Manager of Youth Education in developing educational programs, designing and writing curricula, student manuals and related materials.
• Teaches core classes in field and/or studio production to youth participants.
• Assists in planning special workshops and classes for young people and educators.
• Assists in class and workshop facilitation on- and off-site.
• Facilitates orientation sessions.
• Other administrative tasks as assigned by manager or supervisor.
• Assists in administration of programs and students; maintains process and procedures to enroll students into classes and updates waiting list; obtains youth documents required to enroll in MNN training programs; and ensures training agreements are signed and on file.
• Enters confirmations, cancellations, notes, or other class updates in MNN database.
• Arranges logistics for classes including scheduling instructors, reserving rooms and equipment, and preparing handouts.
• Prepares monthly reports regarding both student progress and efficacy of educational programs.
• Assists with general upkeep and cleanliness of classrooms and equipment.
• Understands and implements MNN policies, rules and regulations.
• Other tasks as assigned by supervisor or manager.
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in media, video, communications or journalism, or equivalent experience.
• 3 + years experience in media field.
• Minimum 2 years of teaching experience.
• Demonstrated studio and field production skills as well as post-production knowledge.
• Graphic design experience and knowledge of Photoshop.
• Demonstrated knowledge of new media technology platforms and skills.
• Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred Other Job Requirements
• Strong interest in community and youth media.
• Action-oriented work ethic with a “can do” attitude.
• A team player with a demonstrated record of working collectively and collaboratively.
• Exceptional organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated initiative in solving problems and a capacity to troubleshoot and problem-solve.
• Demonstrated commitment to learning and staying up-to-date about media production issues and trends in a rapidly changing field.
• Experience with conflict resolution.
• Track record with keeping accurate and detailed records.
• Available to work evening and weekend hours.
How TO APPLY:
Application deadline is June 15, 2014. Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your letter, please respond to the following: 1) Why are you interested in the position? 2) What goals would you set in your first year, why would you set those particular goals, and how would you go about implementing those goals?
We will only consider complete applications. Due to the volume of applications, MNN may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. No phone calls please. MNN will contact candidates for interviews on a rolling basis.
About MNN Founded in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) is Manhattan’s free, public access cable network. We operate two media production and education facilities in Manhattan and run four cablecast channels (Community, Lifestyle, Spirit, and Culture), reaching 620,000 cable subscribers in the borough.
MNN offers free training in video production, editing, and broadcasting to Manhattan residents who wish to become Certified Producers with MNN.
We actively strive to empower Manhattan residents to exercise their First Amendment rights in an open, uncensored, and equitable forum.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.