City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Recreation Specialist (Full-Time & Part-Time)
New Destiny Housing Corporation
New Destiny Housing Corporation is a citywide not- for-profit with the mission of providing housing with services to low-income domestic violence survivors and others at risk of homelessness. New Destiny owns and manages housing that serves domestic violence survivors and other low-income families.
New Destiny is seeking 2 Recreation Specialists (RS) to provide programming for children and families services at several permanent housing residences within its portfolio. One RS will work full-time at three Bronx sites. The other RS will work part-time (50%) at a Brooklyn site.
The Recreation Specialists will support and contribute to the evolving Family Services Program designed to promote tenant growth and stability, family unity, community building and self sufficiency. The qualified candidates will report to the onsite Tenant Support Coordinator/Director. The Family Support Program is supervised by the Housing Services Director.
The Full-time and Part-time Recreation Specialist will be responsible for the following activities:
(1) Youth And Family Events
• Research, organize and implement afterschool and weekend activities
• Survey residents about interests, activities and possible trips
• Plan, budget, facilitate and chaperone trips
(2) After School Activities
• Offer afterschool tutoring and homework assistance to youth of various ages
• Provide a menu of afterschool activities for youth both on-site and off-site
• Create monthly calendars, informational and event flyers
(3) Establish linkages with Educational and Recreational Programs
• Network to facilitate referrals to appropriate programs
• Build connections in the community to connect youth and families with local activities and resources
• Maintain ongoing inventory of borough and city wide educational and recreational programs
(4) Administrative Duties
• Complete monthly and quarterly reports
• Document participant attendance, maintain case files, and write case notes
(5) Utilize and support volunteers to assist in the implementation of the Program
(6) Other Activities as Appropriate
Qualifications: minimum A.A. degree with 2 years work experience in social work, youth services, or community organizing. Experience working with youth is a requirement; experience working with domestic violence survivors is desirable. Other requirements include computer proficiency, and a strong commitment to serving clients. A self starter who is creative and energetic, has the ability to work independently, and can communicate with young various groups. Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits. Please email resume and a detailed cover letter to New Destiny at firstname.lastname@example.org.