City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Lead Youth Producer
Manhattan Neighborhood Network
The MNN El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center is dedicated to media education and production. The Center educates about media's critical role in society and assists producers to voice social, political and cultural concerns otherwise without a media presence. The Youth Media Center housed at the Firehouse offers educational programs as well as opportunities for young people to produce shows for the Youth Channel (YC) cablecast on MNN. Programs for young people offer opportunities to receive technical training and produce media programs about issues impacting their lives for cablecast on MNN channels and social media.
The MNN El Barrio Firehouse staff consists of a ten-person team working in a collaborative and organized environment. The El Barrio Firehouse seeks a Lead Youth Producer to coordinate, lead and oversee the production of youth-oriented media that educates, informs and inspires that is intended for distribution on MNN channels and social media. The 35 hours per week position reports directly to the Manager of Youth Programs and Outreach. It requires work on Saturdays and some evening hours.
• Leads production process to create YC programs for the under 25-year-old audience.
• Coordinates YC production interns and ensures they are gaining hands-on production skills and experience.
• Manages the production calendar and schedule.
• Provides technical/creative support to youth producers and interns.
• Facilitates preproduction and research sessions to further story development for YC projects.
• Ascertains equipment needs and makes reservations.
• Contacts talent and interviewees for programs and obtains legal permissions or releases required.
• Organizes logistics of shoots including time, locations, transportation, and crew assignments.
• Develops shot list for shoot day and operates camera.
• Develops and maintains relationships with community organizations and local artists.
• Oversees editing of producers’ and interns’ stories and projects.
• Reviews and finalizes projects before submitting for MNN programming department.
• Makes equipment usage entries in MNN database.
• Informs production partners of cablecast dates and times.
• Maintains general upkeep and cleanliness of edit stations, equipment, and production facilities.
• Other tasks as assigned by Firehouse Director or Manager of Youth Programs.
• Ensures compliance with and implements MNN policies, rules and regulations.
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in media, television production, communications, journalism or equivalent experience.
• Three years + field production working experience.
• Solid track record with production skills including coordination, camera work, and editing.
• Minimum one year teaching experience.
• Experience engaging youth in media production work.
• Knowledge of motion graphics and After Effects preferred, but not required
Other Job Requirements
• Strong interest in community media.
• Action-oriented work ethic with “can-do” approach.
• Exceptional organizational skills with demonstrated ability to work independently, collectively and collaboratively with minimal supervision.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated initiative in solving problems and capacity to troubleshoot and make recommendations.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse public.
• Demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
• Ability to maintain accurate records.
• Available to work evening and weekend hours.
Compensation Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes health and dental insurance, vacation, sick time and holidays.
How TO APPLY:
Application deadline is June 30, 2014. Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your letter, please respond to the following: 1) Why are you interested in the position? 2) What goals would you set in the first year and how you would approach their implementation?
We will only consider complete applications. Due to volume of submissions, we may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. No phone calls please. Applicants will be contacted on a rolling basis. Anticipated start date June 2014.
Founded in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) is Manhattan’s free, public access cable network. We operate two media production and education facilities in Manhattan and run four cablecast channels (Community, Lifestyle, Spirit, and Culture), reaching 620,000 cable subscribers in the borough.
MNN offers free training in video production, editing, and broadcasting to Manhattan residents who wish to become Certified Producers with MNN. We actively strive to empower Manhattan residents to exercise their First Amendment rights in an open, uncensored, and equitable forum. Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.