City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Legal Assistant, Elderly Project
Volunteers of Legal Service
Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS) seeks a full-time Legal Assistant for its Elderly Project. VOLS's mission is to leverage the good will, resources, and talents of some of New York City's best law firms to provide pro bono legal services to the city's neediest residents.
Founded in 1990, VOLS's Elderly Project works closely with senior centers in Manhattan and with participating law firms to coordinate pro bono legal services for elderly people of modest means. A core emphasis of the Project is on enabling volunteer attorneys from law firms to assist seniors with the preparation and execution of life-planning documents, including wills, powers of attorney, and medical advance directives. The Project also advises and refers seniors with respect to a wide range of other legal issues, including housing, consumer debt, and government benefits like Medicaid and SSI.
The Legal Assistant will help the Project Director to:
• meet and speak with seniors, and screen, assess, and prepare cases for placement with volunteer lawyers;
• ensure that the Project maintains organized, accurate, and complete data concerning volunteers, cases, clients, and partner law firms and agencies;
• edit and update online media concerning the Project;
• liaise between the Project and the attorneys and pro bono coordinators at its partner law firms;
• liaise between the Project and partner agencies and their staff;
• write grant reports for the Project’s funders;
• prepare presentations for attorneys and advocates, and create and update outreach and resource materials; and
• prepare and execute life-planning documents for seniors whom the Project chooses to represent as its clients.
The successful candidate will possess a B.A. or B.S. degree and:
• a strong interest in working with the vulnerable elderly;
• excellent attention to detail and organization;
• computer proficiency, including experience with database and/or case-management software and Microsoft Office applications;
• the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines;
• excellent written and oral communication skills;
• the ability to respond sensitively to the needs of the seniors, lawyers, and agency staff whom the Project works with; and
• the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Spanish-language fluency is strongly preferred. Familiarity with NYC housing law and public-benefits is a big plus.
How TO APPLY:
After reviewing www.volsprobono.org, please e-mail a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample to Alex Ryley, Director, Elderly Project, at ARyley@volsprobono.org with the subject line "Legal Assistant Application.” Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately, but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting on July 1. No phone or email inquiries, please. VOLS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, sex, religion, or any other prohibited category
VOLS's mission is to leverage the good will, resources, and talents of some of New York City's best law firms to provide pro bono legal services to the city's neediest residents.