City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Sr. Manager, CARE & Kitten Nursery
The Senior Manager of the CARE & Kitten Nursery is responsible for the operations of the ASPCA's new 91st Street facility, housing the Canine Annex for Recovery & Enrichment (CARE) as well as the seasonal Kitten Nursery (open from April through September), a 24/7 unit. "CARE" focuses on the daily behavioral and medical needs of canines. It will provide shelter for up to 43 dogs, with the capacity to increase to a maximum of 60 during emergencies. The Kitten Nursery provides compassionate, medical care for 300+ kittens on a daily basis during peak months, specializing in neonates/kittens that are under 8 weeks of age. The population includes orphaned kittens that require regular bottle-feeding, in addition to nursing litters and queens.
• Manage daily operations for 91st St facility.
• Ensure optimal care is provided to animals, including routine medical care by onsite medical staff, pursuant to ASPCA policies and procedures,
• Orchestrate medical care via the attending veterinarian and Medical Caregivers.
• Monitor and report any medical concerns, in accordance with requests from the Medical team.
• Responsible for staffing, training, development and performance management for employees of both departments.
• Supervise direct care staff (Caregivers with different levels of responsibilities and Veterinary Technicians), as well as non-direct care employees (Manager, Coordinators and Clerks).
• Schedule shifts for employees, ensuring there are no gaps in coverage.
• Perform daily “rounds” to inspect sanitary conditions of nursery and kennel areas.
• Train staff in the proper cleaning and disinfecting of cages, kennels and wards.
• Inspect work areas to ensure equipment, cages and furnishings are in safe working order and that exits are not obstructed, in compliance with ASPCA Safety Procedures.
• Ensure that supplies are unloaded and stocked in a timely manner.
• Provide appropriate enrichment and socialization services to animals, in designated areas.
• Maintain appropriate, documented flow of animals into and out of facility.
• Oversee animal transfers through foster placement, partner groups, and the ASPCA’s 92nd Street Adoption Center.
• Direct movement of kittens through nursery as they progress during varying developmental stages (e.g. 0-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, etc.).
• Provide weekly summary report to P/T Manager.
• Respond to employee issues, concerns, complaints,
• Mediate employee conflicts and manage disciplinary actions when necessary.
• Facilitate and manage monthly staff meetings for all Caregivers, including medical staff
• Manage volunteer staff.
• B.A. or BS degree required.
• 5+ years experience; preference given to candidates with management experience working with animals in a kennel, shelter, veterinary hospital or equivalent
• Training or instruction in the care of neonate kittens preferred
• Working knowledge of infectious disease issues
• Animal handling knowledge for cats and dogs
• Working knowledge of animal behavior
• Basic knowledge of neonate care
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and written skills
• Excellent management skills
• Excellent animal handling skills (cats and dogs), including restraint
• Ability to use database software program, e.g. Pet Point
• Must be detail oriented, with a nurturing ability to care for vulnerable animal populations
• Ability to multi-task in, fast-paced environment
• Ability to work autonomously as well as in a team-based environment
• Ability to walk, bend, stand and reach during a minimum 8-hour day
• Driver’s license preferred
• Ability to drive an ASPCA vehicle in order to transport animals, when necessary
• Work schedule for this position is Tuesday through Saturday.
How TO APPLY:
To apply please visit our Careers Page at https://www.vscyberhosting2.com/aspca/Careers.aspx?req=2014-1765, and complete our application, including a cover letter that outlines how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of this position.
The ASPCA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.