City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Vice President, Health Homes & Care Coordination
- Director of Student Enrollment - Manhattan
- Director of Housing Management
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Subsidized Housing Lead Organizer
Tenants & Neighbors
Tenants & Neighbors, a state-wide organization that is building a strong and unified grassroots tenant movement, seeks a full-time Subsidized Housing Lead Organizer to oversee organizing efforts of tenants in at-risk subsidized housing, organize to preserve at-risk subsidized housing, and to play an instrumental role in policy and legislative work for Mitchell-Lama and project-based Section 8 housing. This is a key position in a dynamic, fast-paced, highly collaborative work environment. Candidates must be able to work several evenings per week and on weekends as needed.
The Subsidized Housing Lead Organizer will report to the Executive Director. S/he will have primary responsibility providing strategic direction and overseeing Tenants & Neighbors Subsidized Housing Program including building tracking and research, organizing to preserve at-risk subsidized developments, supervising organizing staff, coordinating tenant-led coalitions and leadership committees, representing Tenants & Neighbors in coalitions, and determining and executing Tenants & Neighbors legislative and policy priorities. S/he will assist with other organization activities, such as fundraising, communications, media outreach, and special event coordination as assigned. S/he will also be on the leadership team of the organization, participating in strategic and long range planning, program planning and evaluation, and strategy discussions.
The ideal candidate will:
• Have 3-5 years’ experience doing grassroots organizing in low and moderate income communities, including experience with base building and leadership development;
• Have experiencing coordinating successful member- or constituent-led state-level policy and legislative campaigns;
• Have a strong background in issues related to affordable housing preservation in New York, including a strong knowledge of the Mitchell-Lama program and the project-based Section 8 program;
• Be very comfortable with public speaking, including representing Tenants & Neighbors’ positions to the media;
• Have experience with meeting facilitation and with democratic consensus-building;
• Be able to work collaboratively in diverse coalitions;
• Be extremely organized and detail-oriented;
• Thrive in an intense, fast-paced environment ;
• Be strategic, politically savvy, and diplomatic;
• Be familiar with new media such as Facebook, Twitter, and blogging;
• And speak and write Spanish.
How TO APPLY:
Send a thoughtful cover letter that includes a resume to Kgoldstein@tandn.org by August 1st, 2014.
Tenants & Neighbors is a small, dynamic, grassroots organization that harnesses the power of tenants to preserve at-risk affordable housing and strengthen tenant rights in gentrifying neighborhoods throughout New York. We have two affiliate organizations, one that does grassroots tenants organizing at the building and community-level to preserve at-risk affordable housing developments, and one that does tenant-led legislative organizing and advocacy to address the underlying causes of loss of affordability.