City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Senior Press Officer
NYC Comptroller's Office
The New York City Comptroller's Office is seeking a Senior Press Officer to be part of its energetic and collaborative press and communications team to implement a shared vision of innovative and forward looking policies for New York City. The press office plays a key role in driving and articulating the Comptroller's overall message, policy agenda, media strategy and community-based initiatives. The office also responds to journalists' requests for information, disseminates news about major initiatives and communicates with the public through the news media Candidates are expected to have experience working in fast-paced, deadline-driven environments and should be skilled in quickly producing clean, creative and targeted written copy. This is an ideal opportunity for an accomplished self-starter who can think fast and write well under time constraints, think strategically and handle a myriad of challenging responsibilities on a wide range of policy areas. Under the direction of the Communications Director, the Senior Press Officer's major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Writing press releases, speeches, talking points, memos, and newsletters, while working closely with staff throughout the agency to ensure accuracy;
Launching press office initiatives and conducting background research to help explain and disseminate information about the work of the Comptroller's Office;
Closely monitoring coverage of City, State and National issues relevant to the Comptroller's Office to address daily media inquiries;
Initiating and sustaining daily outreach to city and state electronic, print, television and radio media reporters and outlets, may include arranging press conferences and interviews.
Regularly pitching story ideas to media, including financial press, mainstream outlets and neighborhood-based media in all five boroughs;
Helping to maintain social media platforms, such as Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, and developing strategies to utilize new media tools to broaden the Office's outreach efforts;
Performs other related assignments as required.
• A BA/BS degree from an accredited college, with 24 credits in English, journalism, public relations or closely related fields, and three (3) or more years of full-time paid experience in public relations, journalism, speechwriting or advertising or related fields, two years of which should be in an administrative or consultative capacity; or
• A combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent to the above. Graduate study in English, journalism, or public relations or closely related field may be substituted for up to one year of required experience.
• NOTE: As position requires strong writing skills, three writing samples are to be submitted with resume and cover letter (attach samples to cover letter).
PREFERRED SKILLS IN ADDITION TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• Demonstrated skill and affinity for writing about public policy issues as well as the ability to tailor often complex messages to diverse audiences;
• Demonstrated responsiveness and reliability, and must be able to handle several projects simultaneously; evidence of prior deadline driven assignments expected;
• Familiarity with urban policy and experience with government programs policies and data analysis, most specifically those of New York City;
• Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills (includes Microsoft Office Suite proficiency) expected.
How TO APPLY:
TO APPLY, GO TO: Employment Opportunities at www.comptroller.nyc.gov
Certain residency requirements may apply.
We appreciate every applicant’s interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.