City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Urban Youth Collaborative
Overview: The Urban Youth Collaborative (UYC) is a youth-led coalition of NYC organizing groups. UYC brings high school age members of these groups together to design and win their own campaigns to improve our public schools and provides them a platform from which to help lead allied efforts to reform public education in our city. Our members are Make the Road New York, Sistas and Brothas United of the Northwest Bronx, Future of Tomorrow (Cypress Hills LDC), and Youth Ministries for Peace and Justice.
Position: Coalition Coordinator. Reports to Oona Chatterjee, Director of Strategic Initiatives, Center for Popular Democracy.
• Support member organization youth leaders and staff in developing and implementing strategic campaigns on college access and ending the School to Prison Pipeline
• Support youth leaders in envisioning and leading the execution of campaign tactics (press outreach, actions and mobilizations, target and ally meetings)
• Powerfully represent UYCs priorities at public meetings and events, to members of the press, and elected officials, in partnership with youth and independently Training and leadership development:
• Design and implement our annual week-long Youth Organizing Institute, with support from member organizations and partner organizations
• Strengthen our program of local workshops, alongside youth leaders, and support delivery of these workshops locally
• Ensure that political education and organizing skills content are a strong element in all of our coalition activities
• Support youth in planning and facilitating all important coalition meetings, retreats and trainings Organizational and Administrative Coordination:
• Ensure strong communication with member organizations, core youth leaders, partners, allies and funders
• Plan and facilitate regular meetings of staff from coalition member organizations
• Support member organizations in tracking their contributions toward achieving campaign goals and promote a culture of accountability among member organizations
• Maintain strong web and and social media presence for the coalition Organizational Development:
• Steward the growth of UYC, in membership and impact
• Fundraise to meet the coalition’s financial needs, in partnership with other staff
• Manage grant applications and grant reporting requirements
• Oversee UYCs budget of approximately $400,000 annually, Strategic Partnerships:
• Maximize the effectiveness of UYCs partnerships with closely allied organizations, including the Annenberg Institute for School Reform, the Center for Popular Democracy, the NYC Coalition for Educational Justice, the Alliance for Quality Education, Dignity in Schools-NY, the Alliance for Educational Justice and Journey 4 Justice.
• A passion for education reform and a commitment to youth organizing;
• Proven ability to work well with young people and support their leadership,
• At least three years experience working with advocacy or community organizations on social justice or civil rights issues;
• Strong planning and meeting/workshop facilitation skills
• Strong team-building and organizing skills;
• Excellent writing, research, and communications skills;
• Ability to communicate complex issues clearly to a variety of audiences;
• Experience in developing successful political, legislative or public education campaigns;
• Experience with grant writing and financial management
• Good teamwork skills
• Foreign language skills, Spanish in particular, a plus;
How TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.