City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Council Member Mark Levine, District 7
Progressive New York City Council Member Mark Levine is seeking rock star interns to join his team, work with his constituents, and gain a one of a kind experience in local government. Council Member Levine represents District 7, which covers Morningside Heights, Hamilton Heights, West Harlem, parts of Washington Heights and the Upper West Side.
The Internships: District Office Intern: Are you looking to help New Yorkers at a grassroots, community level? Want direct services experience? Interested in communications, public relations, social services, or organizing? The District Office Internship is for you! We’re looking for candidates who have strong interpersonal skills, are versatile team players, and self-starters to help us serve our constituents. The job changes every day, but we can promise you won’t be bored. Undergrads, Grads, and Recent Grads welcome.
Legislative Office Intern: If you’re a graduate student with a strong ability to multitask succeed in a fast paced environment, research, and are interested in policy, you would be a strong fit for our legislative office. You will research and draft reports on possible legislative issues, draft letters on behalf of the Council Member’s Office, and attend City Council Committee hearings in addition to providing general assistance to the Legislative and Budget Director and Communications Director. Must have a BA and/or working towards a Masters.
What You Get:
• Knowledge & Experience - There’s nothing like actually doing the work: representing the Council Member in community meetings, helping constituents navigate 311, or drafting policy papers,...this is better than any course you can take. This is the real deal.
• Being in on the “Ground Floor” - This is our first year in office and you’ll get to see the way a political office builds it legislative policies from the ground up.
• Access - New York City politics is a small world and we like to introduce people around. You will have the chance to interact with players at all level of governments every day.
• Fun - We believe in working hard and enjoying ourselves in the process. We are a group of fun, energetic, and friendly people who like to work, triage, serve, create policy, talk, and have fun. If you match this description you will fit right in!
What You Give:
• Commitment: Be willing to roll up your sleeves and do the work. We are looking for folks who want to dive-in, learn, and excel. Credit is available.
• Professionalism: When you join our team, you are a representative of the Council Member. As such, you have to practice the utmost of professionalism and respect in your internal and external conduct.
• Team Player: We hope that you will add to our office’s spirit of camaraderie by being a part of our greater mission in building and maintaining a city that we continue to be proud to live in and call home.
• Well-organized and detail-oriented
• Strong communication skills - both oral and written
• Comfort with customer service; you will need to work with a variety of community groups and to interact with constituents regularly
• Spanish skills are extremely helpful
• Currently enrolled at a College or University or a recent Graduate
• For the Legislative Internship only: Strong research and analytic skills. Must have Bachelors and/or working towards a Master’s.
How TO APPLY:
Please send a current resume, cover letter indicating which internship(s) you are interested in, and a writing sample to email@example.com