City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
After School Group Leader
Reports to: Director of Education and Youth Development
The Women's Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco), a Bronx-based nonprofit housing and community development organization, seeks an After School Group Leader to join its Education and Youth Development Department. WHEDco has worked for over twenty years to build a more beautiful, equitable, and economically vibrant Bronx. We reach over 35,000 people annually through energy-efficient, healthy and affordable homes; early childhood education and youth development; home-based childcare micro-enterprise and food business incubation; family support services; and free arts programming. See www.whedco.org for more information.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Education and Youth Development and
Program Assistants, the Classroom Leader will supervise a group of 20-25 students as they participate in all after school program activities.
• Under the supervision of the Director of Education and Youth Development, and working in conjunction with other staff, supervise assigned group of students during after school program hours
• Maintain attendance log for assigned group
• Maintain Observation and Incidents logs for group
• Assist students with homework during scheduled homework period
• Encourage and lead projects that foster academic, cultural and artistic growth
• Assist in the planning and implementation of special events
• Attend all required staff/planning meetings
• Take on special assignments which pertain to the goals and objectives of the after school program
• Minimum two years professional experience working with children in a classroom, after school, or community based environment leading/organizing arts activities. Substantial volunteer work will be considered
• Demonstrated interest in the field of education, child development or literacy
• Familiarity with literacy and whole language teaching methodology desirable
• Able to work Monday-Friday, from 2:15-5:15 PM
• Well organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
• Current, active college enrollment or college degree preferred.
• Previous work experience in low-income communities.
Excellent benefits and competitive salary based on experience.
How TO APPLY:
To respond, send a cover letter and resume to one of the following:
Mail: WHEDco, 50 East 168th Street, Bronx, NY 10452
Attn: Director of Education and Youth Development
WHEDco is an Equal Opportunity Employer.