City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Community Outreach and Education Coordinator
Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation
With community residents leading the way, the mission of Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation (CHLDC) is to build a strong, sustainable Cypress Hills/East New York, where youth and adults achieve educational and economic success, secure healthy and affordable housing, and develop leadership skills to transform their lives and community.
We also engage community residents in planning for the future of the neighborhood. CHLDC led a participatory planning process over the last three years focused on the redevelopment of vacant lots and brownfields in the Cypress Hills/East New York community. Through this planning process, local residents established priorities for the future growth of their neighborhood, including deeply affordable housing, green and open space, manufacturing and more community facilities and services. In addition to establishing neighborhood priorities for overall holistic development and balanced growth, the first phase of this planning process also identified sites for redevelopment and recommended increasing density on development sites in order to build more affordable housing. The next phase of the work focuses on redevelopment of these strategic sites for affordable housing, manufacturing, green and open space, a community center and new commercial uses.
CHLDC is committed to deep community engagement, input and leadership in the redevelopment process and the Community Outreach and Education Coordinator will play a crucial role in making that happen!
Position: Community Outreach and Education Coordinator
CHLDC has an opening for one (1) Community Outreach and Education Coordinator for our Brownfield Opportunities Area (BOA) Program. This is a full-time, exempt position. The Community Outreach and Education Coordinator will report directly to the Senior Project Director for Brownfield Development.
• Plan and conduct outreach for: o Neighborhood meetings and forums related to development of specific sites, area-wide rezone and comprehensive neighborhood development plan. o Community charrettes o BOA Advisory Board o Surveys o Focus groups
• Educate residents about zoning, affordable housing and potential or proposed neighborhood changes.
• Develop and maintain relationships with all stakeholder institutions.
• Assist Senior Project Manager with draft plans, agendas and reports.
• Represent BOA and Community Development Team with houses of worship, schools and civic associations
• Recruit, orient and train residents and young people to lead the planning process.
• Help facilitate meetings, build consensus, and track and document efforts
• Research policies to prevent displacement and educate residents about those policies.
• Coordinate efforts with all CHLDC programs and staff.
• Actively participate in the organization's External Relations Committee, and with citywide community development advocacy and policy organizations.
• Demonstrate commitment to leadership development, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• BA or BS degree in relevant field such as Urban Studies and knowledge of urban planning/community development.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong writing skills.
• 3-5 years experience in neighborhood-level outreach work or community development.
• Availability to work evenings and weekends is necessary.
• Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Bengal
Salary: $40,000.00. Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, FSA and 403B coverage offered.
How TO APPLY:
To Apply: Please forward your cover letter, resume including three professional references to Shai Lauros, Community Development Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CYPRESS HILLS LOCAL DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.