City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Program Manager, Business Revitalization
Location: 50 E. 168th Street, Bronx, NY 10452 Reports to: Director of Community Development
WHEDco's Community Development Department engages in neighborhood planning, social enterprise, cultural programming, expansion of green, mixed-use developments, and creative placemaking to build exciting, innovative spaces and communities where people, arts, and economy thrive.
The Program Manager will coordinate WHEDco’s efforts around neighborhood revitalization. Activities may include:
• Business Support: Deliver critical support to build capacity and visibility of local merchants, mobile food vendors, start-ups, and artists. Aid merchant association to organize meetings, advocate for improvements, plan events, expand customer base, and manage web presence.
• Retail Attraction: Actively participate in assessing fresh retail opportunities and attracting new businesses. Engage commercial brokers and property owners. Incorporate authentic cultural nuances into neighborhood branding, while managing related website and social media.
• Community Planning: Survey and assess land use, assets, and needs. Identify placemaking opportunities. Liaise with elected officials, local residents and community groups to advocate for safer, cleaner, more vibrant areas. Coordinate neighborhood improvement projects.
• Healthy Living: Advocate for numerous health, fitness, and greening initiatives, to benefit residents of WHEDco’s buildings, and the community.
• Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Business, Economics, or related field.
• At least 2 years of relevant experience, in two or more of the following activities: Urban Planning/Design, Economic Development, Organizing, Advocacy, Community Health, Real Estate.
• Working knowledge of planning principles and community development in underserved areas.
• Motivated, creative, and resourceful self-starter who takes initiative and works well with minimal oversight.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills for reporting and presentations.
• Collaborative team player with sense of humor, excellent interpersonal skills, and good judgment.
• Committed to engaging diverse constituents in underserved communities.
• Available for events and/or meetings in the evening and on weekends, as necessary.
• Skilled in MS Office. Graphic Design, multimedia, website and/or GIS skills a plus.
• Proficiency in Spanish required. Arabic, Asian and/or African languages a plus.
• Interest in community revitalization, advocacy, and the Arts desired.
Excellent benefits and competitive salary based on experience.
How TO APPLY:
To respond, send a cover letter and resume to one of the following: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: WHEDco, 50 East 168th Street, Bronx, NY 10452 Attn: Community Development Department
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco), a Bronx-based nonprofit housing and community development organization, seeks an innovative Program Manager to join its Community Development Department. WHEDco has worked for over twenty years to build a more beautiful, equitable, and economically vibrant Bronx. We reach over 35,000 people annually through energy-efficient, healthy and affordable homes; early childhood education and youth development; home-based childcare microenterprise and food business incubation; family support services; and free arts programming. See www.whedco.org for more information.
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.