City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Economic and Business
- Justice and Legal
- Arts, Media, and Culture
- Education and Academic
- Health and Environment
- Housing, Urban Planning, Real Estate
- Social Service and Agency
- Interns and Student Internships
- Advocacy and Community Organizing
- Board of Directors
- View All Jobs
- Bilingual Social Worker
- Director of Housing and Asset Management
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FOR ADA ADVOCACY
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
New Visions For Public Schools
Parent Coordinator, New Visions Charter High School for Advanced Math and Science and New Visions Charter High School for the Humanities
Position Title: Parent Coordinator, New Visions Charter High Schools
Position Summary: The Parent Coordinator is part of the administrative team working under the supervision of the principals. The Parent Coordinator will engage with and involve parents in the school community by working with the principals, school staff, school leadership team, parent associations, community groups and parent advisory councils.
The parent coordinator will focus on creating a welcoming environment for parents. In the first year, the parent coordinator will be tasked with the founding of the Parent Association for the schools.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Serves as the point person for the creation of the Parent Association for the schools by providing assistance to parents in establishing by-laws, holding elections, and facilitating meetings.
• Develop programs and activities designed to engage families in improving student achievement and increases parent involvement in the school.
• Help to recruit community partners to become part of the school's family involvement program
• Works with the Chief Operating Officers (COO) to coordinate all eight parent events for the school, including Back to School Night, Student Achievement Celebrations, and other campus-wide events.
• Works with the COO, operations staff and guidance counselors on school recruitment systems and the school lottery.
• Serves as facilitator for voicing parent and school community concerns and issues including, for example, school policies or facilities issues.
• Conducts outreach activities (phone calls, creation and dissemination of fliers and newsletters) to increase parent involvement.
• Monitor parent involvement by tracking attendance at parent events and parent service hours.
• Convenes regular parent education meetings and events around topics of key concern to parents.
• Attends parent meetings along with the principals, when appropriate.
Minimum Selection Criteria A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work in an area related to the duties described above; or an Associate’s degree or its educational equivalent and four years of experience in community work in an area related to the duties described above is preferred.
Excellent oral and written bilingual (English/Spanish) skills
A flexible schedule with respect to work hours (including some early mornings, evenings and Saturdays) in order to meet the needs of parents. Preferred Qualifications:
• Presently or formerly a public school parent.
• Familiarity with the New York City public school system.
• Experience with convening workshops.
• Excellent communication (oral and verbal), organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
• Conflict resolution and mediation skills.
• Experience working with families and parents on education and/or community issues.
• Proficiency with Google Docs Version of Word, Excel, Power Point. In your cover letter please speak directly to the following questions:
1. Which of your work experiences as outlined on your resume best prepared you for the position of Parent Coordinator? How? 2. What do you think will be the greatest challenge of this position (besides being new to our school)? How do you plan to meet that challenge? 3. What is appealing to you about becoming a member of the New Visions Charter High School staff?
How TO APPLY:
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and recent salary history to email@example.com . Please note job title in the subject line. Only candidates who closely fit the qualifications will be contacted for an interview. New Visions Charter High School for Advanced Math and Science and New Visions Charter High School for the Humanities is an Equal Opportunity Employer