City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Family Dynamics Family Counselor
- Legislative/Policy Director (Full Time Position)
- Campaigns Director (Full Time Position)
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Center for Popular Democracy
The Center for Popular Democracy (CPD) is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney to work on economic justice, civil rights, and immigrants' rights policy initiatives and campaigns.
The Center for Popular Democracy is a new national organization that builds organizing power and transforms the local and state policy landscape through deep, long-term partnerships with leading community organizing groups and labor unions nationwide. CPD collaborates with partners to build their internal strength, infrastructure and capacity - and to envision and win campaigns, with a particular focus on efforts to move a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial justice agenda at the city and state level.
The Staff Attorney will join CPD’s four-person policy advocacy team, and will collaborate closely with CPD’s organizing staff as well as staff and constituents from our partner organizations. The Staff Attorney will work on a range of projects, including initial investigation and legal research, legislative drafting, creation of campaign materials, lobby visits, community education activities, and follow-up work on implementation.
CPD is currently involved in over 30 active campaigns and projects. Examples of current policy work include:
• Economic & Community Justice Docket: anti-wage theft legislative work at the city and state level; campaigns to pass paid sick leave laws; advocacy to improve agency enforcement of worker protection laws; “sunshine” laws for corporate and banking accountability; and campaigns to secure community benefits agreements in the context of development projects.
• Immigrants & Civil Rights Docket: campaigns to fight against anti-immigrant legislative proposals and for pro-active, pro- immigrant measures (such as language access); campaigns against stop and frisk and racial profiling in policing; and for health care access.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice issues - A law degree, admission to the bar preferred but not required - Excellent research, writing, and analytic skills - An ability to juggle multiple projects at a time, and work in a fast-paced environment - A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles Experience working on social justice public policy issues and campaigns is preferred, but not required - Fluency in a second language is preferred, but not required
CPD will consider candidates with a range of levels of experience, from recent law school graduates to experienced attorneys and policy advocates. Generous salary and benefits package, depending on experience.
How TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Amy Carroll, at acarroll[at]populardemocracy.o rg. Please also complete this online form when you submit your materials: http://tinyurl.com/CPDStaffAtt orney. You must complete the online form for your application to be considered complete.