City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Justice and Legal
- Education and Academic
- Social Service and Agency
- Advocacy and Community Organizing
- View All Jobs
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Retail Action Project
The Retail Action Project (RAP) is seeking a Workforce Developer to assist our membership access employment opportunities in the retail fashion industry.
The position is a full-time position with competitive salary and quality health benefits.
RAP works in partnership with the Good Old Lower East Side (www.goles.org)
Description of Duties:
• Interview job applicants to match with employer’s needs, recording and evaluating applicant experience, education, training and skills
• Conduct new member intakes to develop customized job search and career advancement plans
• Assist member in removing employment barriers such as training, scheduling, time management, family issues, etc.
• Provide career counseling and referral services
• Maintain member records - case files and statistical information
• Maintain and update member information, participation, and progress in databases
• Support retention of students in the program from initial enrollment through employment
• Maintain client confidentiality
• Prepare job seekers with attaining the necessary job skills in interviewing, resume-building, networking and communication (both individually and through workshops)
• Intensive and regular outreach (by phone, email or in person) to retailers to develop relationships with managers and maintain on-going hiring network
• Inform applicants of job openings through website updates, mass emails and direct contact
• Recruit and develop the leadership of RAP members to assist the growth of the career development program including: the employer hiring network, networking events, mentoring, and workshop facilitation
• Assist members filing unemployment and public assistance claims
• Coordinate meeting contractual deadlines with our community partner, the Good Old Lower East Side
• Maintain and update member information, participation, and progress in the database
• Coordinate with staff to engage members in broader organizational activities
• Retail and/or fashion industry experience
• Significant commitment to social, economic and racial justice
• Experience in labor or community organizing
• Ability to provide direct services and job readiness assistance
• Strong presentation, training and facilitation skills
• Ability to develop professional relationships with retail hiring managers
• Excellent written, verbal, and listening skills
• Database management and computer skills
• Flexible, self- motivated, and ability to handle multiple tasks and projects
• Ability to assess effectiveness of strategies and make adjustments as needed
• Demonstrated ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Retail Action Project and the Good Old Lower East Side are equal-opportunity employers.
How TO APPLY:
Please send a resume, a cover letter indicating why you are interested in working with the Retail Action Project and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
RAP is an innovative membership organization of retail and fashion workers dedicated to improving standards and opportunities for workers in the retail industry. RAP aims to empower retail workers, raise industry standards and challenge injustices in the industry. We engage in worker organizing, policy, education, and strategic communications.