City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Family Dynamics Family Counselor
- Legislative/Policy Director (Full Time Position)
- Campaigns Director (Full Time Position)
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA)
The World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA), one of the world's largest international animal welfare organizations, has an exciting opportunity for a creative, motivated and experienced communications professional to join our team. In the coming months, WSPA USA will launch a five-year campaign on cage-free hens and will implement a global rebranding effort--just two of the initiatives for which the Communications Manager will provide leadership.
The U.S. Communications Manager reports to the U.S Executive Director and will play an important role in the development, integration and implementation of a diverse range of communications activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of WSPA USA. S/he will have a passion for building relationships with reporters and proactively formulating and pitching stories ideas that help broaden awareness and increase visibility for the organization, lead the dialogue on animal awareness, and support the development and advocacy efforts in the U.S. S/he will have an understanding of digital media and how to use effectively to communicate with key stakeholders. S/he will work collaboratively with counterparts and colleagues in North America and around the world to ensure consistency in messaging and branding.
A self-starter, with the ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team, the U.S. Communications Manager will use excellent writing skills and creative vision to enhance and engage multiple audiences across various channels including website, blogs, print publications, on- and off-line email newsletters, and U.S.-based and regional campaigns.
This is a full time, New York City-based position. Salary is commensurate with candidate's experience and this position includes generous benefits offered to full-time WSPA employees.
REPORTING TO: Executive Director, WSPA USA
• With direction from the North American Regional Communications and Marketing Director, develop and execute WSPA USA’s communications strategy, including brand, digital and media relations.
• Partner closely with U.S. fundraising team to develop digital, written and collateral materials that support fundraising strategies.
• Support WSPA International’s strategic efforts by lending expertise on relevant projects and communications teams, as needed.
• Manage day-to-day U.S. PR and media relations activities: o Ensure proper branding and messaging, as well as optimal placements; o Lead integration of communications, campaigns and fundraising messaging on all web, social media and e-communications; o Write all press releases, web stories, OpEd/LtE and blog(s) with assistance from campaigns managers and/or international communications team; o Maintain media lists/contacts database; o Monitor daily marketplace for topical story ideas, potential for OpEd/LtE, etc.; o Fully brief U.S. spokespeople for all media interviews, as well as provide regular media training; o Serve as a spokesperson, when needed.
• Oversee WSPA USA’s social media strategy and execution o Ensure content on WSPA USA’s Facebook, Twitter and YouTube account is constant, on-brand and engaging; o Coordinate across communications, campaigns and fundraising to determine social media topics/opportunities.
• Supervise U.S.-based Webmaster and execution of the U.S. digital strategy; ensure all online messaging is on-brand, timely and compelling.
• Support WSPA North America communications plans and assets development: o Communicate closely with counterpart in Canada regarding all regional and global initiatives; o Liaise with colleagues in Canada to develop and implement innovative communications plans and materials for regional campaigns; o Prepare monthly and quarterly performance reports for internal tracking, as well as quarterly reports for WSPA International.
• Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s Degree with 5+ years’ proven-experience with media, particularly pitching and placing stories.
• 2+ years’ experience in organizing campaigns and events.
• Experience managing and motivating staff.
• Experience with social media and knowledge of digital trends.
• Experience managing messaging across multiple websites desired.
• Committed to animal welfare issues.
• Must have excellent communicative skills, written and verbal.
• Flexible and stress-proof; able to be “on call” and travel as needed.
• Able to work independently while comfortable as part of both a national/regional multi-disciplinary team and a global PR/media team.
How TO APPLY:
Candidates wishing to be considered please send a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to: HR2@wspausa.org. For consideration HR2-USCM must be in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled. WSPA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.
This is a full time, New York City-based position. Salary is commensurate with candidate’s experience and this position includes generous benefits offered to full-time WSPA employees. Candidates wishing to be considered please send a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to: HR2@wspausa.org. For consideration HR2-USCM must be in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled. WSPA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.
The World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) has an ambitious strategy to create a world where animal welfare matters and animal cruelty has ended – and we are seeking talented and passionate individuals to join our team and help us reach this goal.
WSPA is the world’s largest international animal welfare organization and continuing to grow. Across our 15 offices, we are developing programs and launching campaigns that will improve the lives of millions of animals.
WSPA employs 300+ people worldwide and partners with more than 100 local organizations. With consultative status at the United Nations, we have a unique perspective– grounded in science and results-driven, WSPA connects animal welfare with sustainable development and is focused on delivering truly sustainable practical and policy solutions.