City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
Upper West Side Streets Advocate (Part Time)
Summary of Position We are seeking a self-motivated and energetic person to coordinate campaigns that will make the Upper West Side's streets safer and more accessible for people to walk and ride bikes. Applicants should be familiar with current local politics, have experience in political and/or community organizing and have a strong affinity for the mission of Transportation Alternatives.
Most of your time will be working with people and neighborhood leaders on the Upper West Side of Manhattan to organize support for measures to make the streets safer for biking and walking. This will not be a traditional 9-5 position, night and weekend work will be required as you will need to attend community board meetings, meet with local community members in the evening, and conduct outreach events on the weekends.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Conducting outreach to recruit volunteers to be a part of transforming streets in their community through attending and hosting public meetings, canvassing, conducting targeted online recruitment campaigns and other methods
• Developing relationships with key political players and opinion leaders, as well as allied organizations
• Working with leaders to develop successful campaigns to tackle community issues
• Mobilizing community members and volunteers to organize community meetings, town hall meetings, public events, issue-based actions, etc…
• Participate in coalitions with other organizations
• Union, community, or political organizing experience
• Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to meet goals and deadlines while working independently
• Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task
• Detail-oriented and extremely well-organized
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build trust and maintain relationships with dozens of community partners
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Adept with social media and other web-based outreach tools
• Knowledge of NYC neighborhoods
• Basic Adobe InDesign skills are a plus.
• Commitment to making NYC and better place to bike, walk and use public transit
• Commitment to organizing people to achieve change
• A good sense of humor
How TO APPLY:
Please send cover letter and resume to: UWS Advocate (in subject line) (email address - job_applications [at] transalt [dot] org)
No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
Hiring immediately. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
Transportation Alternatives is New York City's leading transportation advocacy organization, with a citywide network of tens of thousands of supporters committed to better bicycling, walking and public transit in the five boroughs. Our mission is to reclaim New York City's streets from the automobile, and to advocate for bicycling, walking and public transit as the best transportation alternatives.