City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA)
The Controller is responsible for leading a proactive, efficient, and effective financial management service for the North America region, and will provide financial information and analysis about WSPA that will assist management, its stakeholders, and the board of directors in making educated economic decisions affecting the region.
The Controller will have functional management responsibility for the Country Finance Managers in the USA and Canada. Through this functional leadership, the Controller will maintain oversight of all financial/accounting functions, including general accounting, financial reporting, cash flow, disbursements, internal procedures and controls, audits, and taxes within the USA and Canada and for the North America Regional Office. The Controller will document and improve business policies and procedures to maintain and strengthen internal controls and ensure each office is following best accounting/finance practices. The Controller is the key person responsible for budgeting, reporting, forecasting and monitoring of income and expenditure for the region. The Controller will report directly to the Regional Director, North America.
As part of the Regional Senior Management Team (RMST), the Controller will contribute to the overall strategic management of the region and give input into the formulation and execution of the strategic direction to ensure achievement of WSPA's overall financial and non-financial objectives.
• Oversee the activities of the Finance Managers and provide leadership of WSPA’s USA and Canada finance/accounting operations including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, and revenue.
• Conduct a high level review of financial statements of USA and Canada in order to identify performance or other issues requiring attention of the RSMT.
• Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts for the region, institute and maintain other planning and control procedures, and analyze and report variances.
• Calculate, issue and interpret financial and operating metrics. Work with RSMT colleagues to continually improve performance within the region.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee and advise on risk management.
• Provide general oversight of audits in the US and Canada.
• Reviews letters of agreement, contracts, leases and other legal documents and agreements (over $50,000).
• Monitor and ensure compliance with emerging relevant legislation specific to the governance of non-profits and advise the Regional Director and or Country Directors as necessary.
• Act as a first point of contact for advice and guidance on legal issues; secure and liaise with WSPA’s external legal advisors as appropriate.
• Support the implementation of WSPA’s global corporate policy framework and lead in the development of supporting procedures for the region. Develop and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures and financial controls.
• Respond to Regional Director as assigned with accurate and timely work to facilitate the financial needs of WSPA.
• Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports.
• Conform with, and abide by, all regulations, policies, work procedures, and instructions.
• Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting or Finance.
• Minimum ten (10) years professional experience in finance and accounting.
• Minimum of 5 years in a leadership role.
• Demonstrated excellence in managing finance/administrative staff team.
• Strong background in non-profit accounting.
• A strong understanding of the legal, fiscal and regulatory environment in which non-profit organizations operate; working knowledge of non-profit fiscal management, including fund accounting and budgeting.
• International experience.
• Contractual negotiation experience.
• A team player who is goal oriented and focused on producing accurate and a high quality work product.
• Ability to lead, inspire and motivate people.
• Proven project management, strategic thinking, and analytical skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
• Excellent communication skills – written, oral and presentation.
• Competent at computing and web based skills relevant to the job.
• High level of discretion and diplomacy.
• Committed to the mission of the organization.
• CPA (Certified Public Accountant) designation or similar.
How TO APPLY:
For more than 30 years, WSPA has brought relief and protection to millions of animals across the world. Today, working in more than 50 countries, WSPA continues to collaborate with local communities, NGOs and governments to change animals’ lives for the better. WSPA also acts for animals at a global level, using the organization’s United Nations consultative status to give animals a voice. If you have the qualifications for this particular role, and share WSPA’s passion for animal welfare, please let us know of your interest by applying.
Please send a cover letter including salary requirements, and your resume, to email@example.com. For consideration HR23-CNTRLR must be in the subject line. Applications without salary requirements may not be considered. No phone calls, please. Position will remain open until filled. WSPA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.
The World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) has an ambitious strategy to create a world where animal welfare matters and animal cruelty has ended – and we are seeking talented and passionate individuals to join our team and help us reach this goal. WSPA is the world’s largest international animal welfare organization, and continues to grow. Across our 15 international offices, we are developing programs and launching campaigns that will improve the lives of millions of animals worldwide.
In the U.S., we have opened a new office in New York City, and joining our team is an exciting opportunity to be involved on the ground floor of a stellar team of nonprofit professionals with the backing of an established world-class global organization.