City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Deputy Political Director
SEIU Local 32BJ
Local 32BJ of SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the United States, with 120,000 members in 8 states and Washington, DC. The union is at the forefront of driving a progressive policy agenda, including living and prevailing wage laws, responsible procurement and development standards, and access to health care. Local 32BJ has established a reputation for helping to elect pro-worker politicians and building a strong member activist base.
The Deputy Political Director will help to manage key aspects of the union's legislative and electoral work in CT, DC, DE, FL, MD, NJ, PA, and VA, and support its ambitious organizing program. Reporting directly to the Political Director, this position will be based in either New York City or Washington, DC and will oversee all union political programs outside of New York City.
• Working closely with the Political Director, State Political Directors, and elected leaders of Local 32BJ, create plans for all political activity and strategies for plan implementation.
• Provide high-level strategic advice to the Political Director on all matters inside of each of seven states and Washington, D.C., including on budgeting, targeting, and endorsements.
• Working closely with the Policy Director and other staff and leaders, set legislative goals in each state.
• Directly supervise State Political Directors and the legislative and electoral campaigns inside of each state.
• Provide tactical support on campaign development and implementation, including mobilization events.
• Identify opportunities for political activity to support the member capacity- building, contract and organizing campaigns of the union.
• Communicate frequently with staff and elected leaders of 32BJ, ensuring that campaigns reflect union priorities.
• Represent 32BJ as needed with internal and coalition partners.
• 6-10 years of experience in labor, political, or community organizing
• Ability to design and implement powerful and effective political programs
• Experience successfully managing staff in a team setting
• Comprehensive knowledge of legislative processes
• Excellent communications skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with stakeholders across the union
• Ability to travel frequently to work directly with staff and members in each area
• A strong commitment to the work of Local 32BJ
How TO APPLY:
Please submit resume and cover letter online by January 11, 2013 at www.grossmansolutions.com.
32BJ is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.