City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
- Tackling Poverty: A Local & National Agenda (Manhattan)
With 120,000 members SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for the thousands of unorganized workers.
SEIU 32BJ is growing quickly by organizing workers who are fighting for a living wage, affordable healthcare, respect, and a voice in their future. We are committed to transforming the lives of janitors, security officers, food service and other service workers. We are looking for a lead organizer to run aggressive campaigns. As a lead organizer, your role is to work with staff and members to oversee and help drive campaigns.
This position is available in New York.
• Leading and providing support to teams of staff and members in the execution of their daily work.
• Assisting in developing the organizing skills of staff and member organizers.
• Providing strategic input to the overall campaign and strategy.
• Leading staff by example, setting high standards in work ethic and professional approach to the work.
• Articulating a positive vision of the project and of the union.
• Building one-on-one relationships with workers, educating them about the union.
• Conducting individual and group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
• Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead their campaign.
• Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
• Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
• Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on the industry as a whole.
Previous organizing experience leading campaigns is a must. A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
• Willingness to work long hours, nights, and weekends.
• Capacity to work independently and with a team.
• The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
• Sharp communications skills.
• Basic writing and computer skills.
• The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Fluency in a second language is a plus.
• A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
Compensation: Competitive salary based on experience, full benefits package including retirement, 100% employer-paid family health and dental insurance, and a car allowance. This is a salaried position.
How TO APPLY:
Email a cover letter, résumé, and three references to Deirdre Lehn at email@example.com. Please reference Lead Organizer in the subject line of your email, and reference where you saw the job posting.