City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Bilingual Social Worker
- Director of Housing and Asset Management
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FOR ADA ADVOCACY
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
Community Development & Outreach Coordinator
Good Shepherd Services
The Community Development & Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for designing, implementing and overseeing effective community development, education and outreach initiatives for the Red Hook community. He/she will also encourage interdependence, mutual understanding, and awareness among staff, program participants and community members.
• Participate in Red Hook Coalition and Hurricane Sandy relief efforts
• Develop strategic linkages with other Red Hook CBOs and stake-holders around key issues of significance to community.
• Work collaboratively with Parent Coordinators at Red Hook public schools.
• Develop collaborative working connections with existing constituent groups in Red Hook, and work towards goal of having these groups participate in larger, more heterogeneous community activities.
• Gather and disseminate information on issues significant to Red Hook and GSS communities.
• Coordinate on-going voter registration process at GSS and in Red Hook community.
• Participate in Beacon Advisory Committee, while establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with schools, businesses, various levels of government and general public.
• Train community residents, program participants and staff in the skills and elements of community development, education and outreach
• Identify and develop emerging community leaders, institute leadership training workshops for staff, participants and community members.
• Identify and support opportunities for GSS and community members to work together on issues that affect them, with goal of developing individual and collective empowerment.
• Attend Community Board meetings and other community- based meetings, as appropriate
• Work collaboratively with all GSS Red Hook based programs to define how community outreach can be effectively integrated.
• Identify and maintain up-to- date information on key community issues and trends.
• Promote opportunities for youth and families to have a voice in program and agency planning.
• Develop and supervise community service opportunities for youth and young adults.
• Provide opportunities for community members to work and celebrate together in order to foster a sense of belonging, pride and mutual responsibility.
• Initiate ongoing assessment of efficacy of community development, education and outreach activities.
• Supervise interns and volunteers, as appropriate.
• Work collaboratively with PEP to develop, track and evaluate program outcomes.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelors Degree required; Minimum of 3 years of experience in the community development/outreach field preferred.
• Knowledge of Red Hook community strongly preferred.
• Experience building coalitions within communities, helping diverse groups of people identify and work toward common goals.
• Must have experience facilitating groups.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, effectively and collaboratively with all levels of staff, program participants and community members.
• Must have excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to work flexible schedule including evening or weekend community meetings/events
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Demonstrated ability to utilize social media outlets
Good Shepherd Services has won the Non Profit Excellence Award for Overall Management Excellence given by the New York Times Company! Good Shepherd Services is a non- sectarian, social service and youth development agency which positively affects the lives of more than 18,000 children and families annually. Throughout our history, we have shown leadership in developing effective programs that help New York City's more vulnerable residents gain the support, skills and opportunities necessary for success in life. United by our shared mission and vision, these programs are characterized by a profound respect for the strengths inherent in individuals, families and communities. We provide city-wide residential and foster care services with concentrations in Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn. In addition, we have developed two networks of community- based educational support, youth development, family support, and after school programs, in Brooklyn, primarily in the neighborhoods of Park Slope, Red Hook and Gowanus and in Central Bronx. Through our professional training services, we help to ensure the implementation of best practices in human services agencies across the City.