City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Vice President, Family Services and Day Care Divis
- Director of Development
- Construction Superintendent
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
- Tackling Poverty: A Local & National Agenda (Manhattan)
Sandy Relief Immigrant Outreach Worker
Outreach Workers will respond to the unique needs of immigrant households in storm-affected communities. We're looking to bring on addition Outreach staff to work within communities in Staten Island, southern Brooklyn, Canarsie, and the Rockaways. We're looking for additional people to work within the Latino, Russian, Eastern European, and Chinese communities, as well many other groups in those areas.
· Identify all immigrant households affected by Hurricane Sandy who are in need of disaster assistance services
· Assess each household's immediate, short-term and long-term needs and identify the appropriate services and resources for which members of the household are eligible
· Assist members of the household in the process of accessing relevant services, directly or through referrals
· Follow up with household to determine if services were available and accessible
· Document, compile and report on outstanding immediate, short-term and long-term needs in selected communities to support requests for and allocation of additional resources
• Map storm-affected area to strategically canvass and ensure that all households are identified
• Build relationships with community based organizations, faith-based groups, and local agencies
• Recruit, train and deploy volunteers to accompany and assist staff as they canvass the designated areas
• Canvass designated areas, surveying each household using the Community Survey Tool in order to document household needs (immediate, short-term and long-term) and eligibility for assistance
• Identify all relevant resources and services for which members of household may be eligible (e.g., FEMA assistance, D-SNAP, HomeBase, etc.)
• Provide families with information and education about available disaster-related resources
• Assist members of household in the process of accessing the resources for which they are eligible, provide detailed information about services available, including where to obtain services, work with members of household to identify documentation needed to apply for services
• Keep detailed records of households that are ineligible for needed assistance and document any gaps in service delivery so that additional resources can be allocated, where possible
• Track and compile data collected from the Community Survey Tool and entered into Data Reporting Tool
• Other duties as assigned
Staff should be willing to approach and aggressively uncover all immigrant households to ensure all options for aid are exhausted before any application deadlines.
• Must be familiar with and have strong ties to target community
• Must be bi- or multi-lingual in languages of target community (Preferably within the following communities: Latino, Haitian/Caribbean, Chinese)
• Strong community outreach and engagement skills
• Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
• Ability to interface with service providers from all sectors of the service system
• Ability to work evenings and weekends
How TO APPLY:
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please mention your language abilities, background in outreach work, as well as ties to storm affected immigrant communities.