City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
- Tackling Poverty: A Local & National Agenda (Manhattan)
Community Organizer - Health Justice
New York Lawyers for the Public Interest
New York Lawyers for the Public Interest (NYLPI) is seeking applications for a Community Organizer in its Health Justice Program. NYLPI is a nonprofit civil rights law firm committed to advancing equality and civil rights through community lawyering and partnerships with the private bar. NYLPI's Health Justice Program works to ensure that people from medically underserved neighborhoods who face barriers due to limited English proficiency or racial or ethnic discrimination have access to quality health care.
The Community Organizer will be an integral part of the Health Justice team, working alongside attorneys and advocates to develop and implement the program's campaigns and cases. In addition to community outreach, the organizer will be responsible for helping to develop community campaigns; lobbying; building coalitions of community members and community-based organizations; convening trainings and meetings; creating outreach materials; assisting with plaintiff searches; providing technical assistance to community leaders and activists; and educating the public, elected officials and the media about health justice.
• Demonstrated, energetic commitment to health and social justice and immigrant rights.
• Strong writing, organizational, and public speaking and other communication skills.
• Flexibility, creativity, and initiative.
• Ability to work both collaboratively and independently and to juggle multiple tasks under time constraints.
• Experience working in coalitions and with individual clients.
• Proficiency in a second language strongly preferred.
• At least three years of relevant experience strongly preferred.
How TO APPLY:
Please send applications by March 22, 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words: “Attention: Health Justice Community Organizer Position.” Applications must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references (including daytime telephone numbers). Please mention where you saw this posting in your cover letter. To learn more about NYLPI, visit www.nylpi.org.
NYLPI offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits. NYLPI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color and individuals with disabilities.
NYLPI pioneered the practice of community lawyering in the five boroughs of New York City. With every case and every campaign, we continue to develop an ambitious, participatory, and dynamic approach to working with marginalized communities. Our work draws on a range of strengths: firm community partnerships; effective organizing; media savvy; effective legislative advocacy; and bold, creative approaches to litigation.