City Limits has been the long-standing provider of New York City's top career opportunities and marketplace resources for the non-profit and civic community. For employers and recruiters, thousands of dynamic applicants who know and love the five boroughs search for emerging opportunities here.
MORE JOB LISTINGS
- Family Dynamics Family Counselor
- Legislative/Policy Director (Full Time Position)
- Campaigns Director (Full Time Position)
LATEST LEARNING CENTER
- Tackling Poverty: The History of Poverty and Homelessness in New York City
- Bronx Bureau Launch Event and Conversation
- Involvement Conference: Trending In the Public Sector
City of New York Department of Buildings
Civil Service Title: Inspector (Construction) Level: 00 Title Code No: 31622 Salary: $45,162/$51,936-$65,971 Annual Business Title: Inspector Work Location: 280 Broadway, 4th Floor, N.Y. Divison/Work Unit: Construction Boro Enforce Insp. Number of Positions: 24 Job ID: 116814 Hours/Shift: 40 Hours (minimum)
Under the direct supervision of a Construction Supervisor/Assistant Construction Chief/Construction Chief, the Construction Inspector will be responsible for:
* Performing technical inspections of construction work pursuant to applications filed with the Department of Buildings. These applications involve the erection, alteration, and repair of structures throughout the city. The inspector is to determine if construction work is being done safely and in conformance with approved applications, plans, and specifications in accordance with the NYC Construction Code, Zoning Resolution, or other related building laws enforced by the Department of Buildings.
* Perform technical inspections in response to complaints received by the Department of Buildings alleging that existing buildings are in violation of provisions of the NYC Construction Code, Zoning Resolution, or other related building laws enforced by the Department of Buildings.
* Preparing accurate inspection reports.
* Issuing violations and/or summonses for non-compliance.
* Responding to telephone and in-person inquiries.
* Accurately and professionally providing expert testimony at administrative and criminal court hearings.
1. Five years of full-time, satisfactory experience working in the construction trades as a carpenter, mason, ironworker, plasterer, architect, engineer, building construction superintendent, or inspector of building construction; or 2. A license as a professional engineer or registered architect issued pursuant to the New York State Education law; or 3. Three years of full-time, satisfactory experience as described in "1" above, and two years of formal training or education in an acceptable construction program, given in a college accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or a technical school or trade school approved by a states Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization; or 4. Three years of participation in the apprentice construction inspection program offered by the Department of Buildings, and either two years of full-time satisfactory experience as described in "1" above, or two years of formal training or education as described in "3" above.
Experience not considered acceptable: working as a home-improvement contractor (e.g., doing siding, roofing and painting), sheet metal worker, shipbuilder, metal lather, Sheetrock taper, glazier, insulation installer.
Driver License Requirement: At the time of appointment to this position, you must have a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. If you have moving violations, license suspension or an accident record, you may be disqualified. This license must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
* Working knowledge of the NYC Construction Code and Zoning Resolution.
* Computer literate.
A valid New York State Department of Motor Vehicles Driver s License maintained for the duration of employment.
At the time of appointment, all candidates residing in New York City must apply to receive Special Patrolman status
Residency Requirement: New York City Residency is not required for this position
How TO APPLY:
NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED