The closure of St. Vincent's Hospital this year has put increased pressure on trauma centers around the city.
A regional trauma center, or Level 1 trauma center, is "a facility with the ability to provide definitive treatment to the full-range of trauma patients, including a commitment to trauma research and education," state DOH regulations state. "Such a facility has 24-hour availability of specialists in varied surgical and non-surgical fields." A Level 1 center can treat 1,000 severely injured patients a year.
Level 2 trauma centers, also called area trauma centers, are "capable of providing definitive treatment to most trauma patients," according to DOH. "Such a facility has emergency medicine specialists and general surgeons available 24-hours a day; other medical specialists are available on an 'on-call basis.' "
Trauma care is only one part of emergency medicine, so not every emergency room is a trauma center. And not all New York City hospitals have trauma centers, although the 15 city hospitals that do have such centers all have Level 1 facilities. There is also a pediatric level 1 trauma center at Children's Hospital of New York at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in Washington Heights.
The city's current Level 1 trauma centers are:
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health Center in the Bronx neighborhood of Mott Haven
- New York Presbyterian Hospital's Weill Cornell Medical Center on 68th Street in Manhattan
- St. Barnabas Hospital in the Belmont section of the Bronx
- St. Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital Center in Clinton
- Richmond University Medical Center in West Brighton, Staten Island
- Staten Island University Hospital in Midland Beach, Staten Island
- Bellevue Hospital Center in Gramercy
- New York Hospital Center of Queens in Flushing
- Jacobi Medical Center on Pelham Parkway, in the Bronx
- Brookdale Hospital Medical Center in Brownsville, Brooklyn
- City Hospital Center at Elmhurst, Queens
- Harlem Hospital Center
- Jamaica Hospital
- Lutheran Medical Center in Sunset Park, Brooklyn
- Kings County Hospital Center in Wingate, Brooklyn